Cheap food Zurich-Luzern-Montreux-Zermatt-Lugano?

• VishalChadha
    Participant
    19 posts
    5 September 2018 at 5:31:35 #818233

Hi all

My wife and I will be visiting Zurich, Luzern, Montreux, Bernese Oberland region, Zermatt and Lugano in end Sep – mid Oct.

Would be great to get recommendations on popular restaurants, cafes, street food in the above places – from personal experience of which place, what dishes to order, not to miss, popular joints and food, etc. Both of us are quite flexible with food choices and cuisine (except beef), and would like to experience good food generally and Swiss cuisine as well.

While some websites do mention top restaurants for each place, I believe those are generally expensive (proper sit down places), so trying my luck here to see what people have found to work well for their taste and budget.

Best regards

Vishal

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 September 2018 at 10:59:54 #895703

I also would be interested in knowing about restaurant suggestions in that area.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    5 September 2018 at 20:37:20 #895704

In Zurich, try a University cafeteria (Google Maps: > Mensa UZH Center or > Polyterrasse). At all locations except Zermatt look for a supermarket that has a cafeteria (Migros or Coop). Large train stations also have a variety of fast food places.

In Zermatt, I believe, all restaurants are expensive, so for cheap food buy at a store and eat a picnic outside.

I am not sure you can get typical Swiss cuisine (fondue, raclette, etc.) without going to a restaurant with “proper sit down places”. But at the places I have mentioned above, you can probably get grilled sausages which are also Swiss cuisine. Ask for “Bratwurst mit Büürli”, or “Schüblig mit Büürli”, best with a beer (in my opinion).

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    5 September 2018 at 20:41:51 #895705

Oh, some Bratwurst contains beef (the white ones). The red ones contain pork. And, sorry about that, Schüblig also contains beef.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2018 at 7:34:34 #895706

Hi Vishal,

Generally speaking in all towns, the Migros and Coop supermarkets are great for fast and cheap food options.

The most reasonably prices sit down restaurant I’ve found is Manor department stores (they are found around the country in larger towns and often have a restaurant on the top floor). Good and fairly inexpensive (for Switzerland).

For fondue, you’ll need to go to a restaurant as far as I’m aware, unless there is a food market on by chance. Some options in Zurich (where I’m familiar with restaurants) are: Volkshaus, Zeughauskeller and Swiss Chuchi.

Here are some tips in saving money in Switzerland: http://www.myswissalps.com/pl antrip/doityourself/sa vemoney

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    7 September 2018 at 0:44:43 #895707

You won’t want to eat it all the time, but I suggest you look for and try a very Swiss classic, the Birchermüesli. You can find it in most of the Coop and Migros stores, even those that don’t have cafeterias. There are many recipes and you can see some by googling the word. I will attach a photo of one that looks pretty delicious. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Muesli

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    7 September 2018 at 22:11:37 #895708

I’ll second Peterli on Birchermüesli. Very Swiss, and healthy too (and vegetarian!).

There is a Müuesli Bar at Zurich mainstation (see attached photo, shot yesterday).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2018 at 3:58:09 #895709

Dear Vishal ,

Its tough to get cheap street food as such at switzerland , and for pure vegetarian like us ,its more so more difficult because even in bread items ,you will feel and smell type like some non vegetarian taste…..so apart from suggestions from the expert and with due respect , we still further prefer to carry some of the ready to eat food packets from home and like oats, poha like many things with us…

thanks and regards

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    8 September 2018 at 4:47:50 #895710

Check this video of the Müesli Bar in Zurich Hb. youtu.be/egRmTtZAUXk

It is actually a rotating food stall, the first in Europe, according to the SBB, with a Pasta Barn on one side and the Müesli Bar on the other. It is rotated around, depending on the time of day. Opening hours of the Müesli Bar are 6 AM to 9 PM Monday through Saturday and 8:30 AM to 9 PM on Sunday, and for the Pasta Barn, the hours are 11:30 AM to 9:30 PM, seven days a week. It is located down the escalators on the Sihlquai. Here is their menu (in German only): http://www.pasta-barn.ch/menu

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    8 September 2018 at 18:18:28 #895711

Here is an interesting article about Birchermüesli in Zurich, the city where it was invented. http://www.zuerich.com/en/vis it/regional-specialties/enjoy-bircher-muesli

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2018 at 6:24:36 #895712

I walked by that all the time and never realized it was the same business! haha. Never saw it rotate!

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    10 September 2018 at 4:23:34 #895713

My guess is that they rotate it at 11:30 AM, and then back again after 9:30 PM or before they open in the AM. I notice they have signs on each end pointing to whatever is not facing the flow of pedestrians.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2018 at 20:47:17 #895714

Hi

Just watched the video – what a great idea! Like the look of the menu too! Must check it out next year!

Maggie

• The thread ‘Cheap food Zurich-Luzern-Montreux-Zermatt-Lugano?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.