Gornergrat train ticket and Priority Boarding

• TravisL
    Participant
    23 posts
    10 November 2022 at 16:42:41 #828622

Hi,

We will be in Zermatt on Dec-15 and plan on taking the Gornergrat train round trip.

1. Is there a need to book the tickets and priority boarding option in advance or can I book it a day or two in advance after checking the weather?
    2. I want to make sure my parents have a good view from a window seat so I plan on purchasing the priority boarding option, how likely will is sell out in mid-December?
    3. I don’t plan on doing any hiking, maybe just lunch and some sightseeing. How many hour is enough at the top?
    4. Do all the restaurants at the top open in winter?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2022 at 19:07:10 #948273

Everything will be open as it is the ski season. I don’t think you will need priority boarding

For a period a years a few years ago I always went to Zermatt pre Christmas for skiing.

You will be visiting Zermatt at about the same time period.

I always used the Gornergrat train for the first run in the morning. At the Gornergrat station there are separated boarding areas. If the queue in one boarding area is already full when you turn up at the station, just go into the ‘second’ boarding area so that you are at the ‘front of the queue’. Then when the train is ready if you board quickly you will get a window seat, especially as skiers boarding need to put their skis on a rack before going to sit down, so as a non skier you will be at an advantage.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2022 at 22:53:11 #948274

Hi TravisL,

1) You can buy your Gornergrat tickets just the day before or even on the same day. If you prefer to get them in advance to avoid the queue, you can buy the ticket here: http://www.myswissalps.com/gornergrat/tickets. Very clever idea to check the weather first. More about the weather forecast: http://www.myswissalps.com/weather/forecast.

2) I do not think it will sell out.

3) Allow 1-2 hrs for lunch and admire the view.

4) Yes, they will be open.

More about Gornergrat: http://www.myswissalps.com/gornergrat

Ildiko

TravisL
    Participant
    23 posts
    11 November 2022 at 20:11:39 #948275

Thank you 1960man and Ildiko for the great information!

• The thread ‘Gornergrat train ticket and Priority Boarding’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.