Gotthard Base Tunnel – partially closed for trains until Sept 2024

• Annika
    7131 posts
    12 August 2023 at 6:17:12 #830496

Last updated: 11-03-2024

Long-term closure of the Gotthard Base Tunnel for passenger trains

Hi travelers,

Due to the derailment of a freight train in the Gotthard Base Tunnel in 2023, this tunnel will largely remain closed for passenger traffic on weekdays. One early train per weekday is scheduled from late March 2024. During weekends, several passenger trains per day can use the tunnel. The tunnel is expected to be fully repaired by September 2024. If all goes well, train schedules will then return to normal.

This affects, for example:

• transfers between Chiasso/Lugano and Zurich (extra travel time: 1 hour);
    • transfers between Chiasso/Lugano and Basel (extra travel time: 1 hour);
    • international routes to and from Italy via Lugano (extra travel time: 1 to 2 hours).

Alternatives:

The Swiss timetable shows up-to-date information and alternatives.

More info:

• Danielsan
    Participant
    638 posts
    13 August 2023 at 8:30:03 #957253

Hi Annika,

Thanks for the heads-up on the tunnel closure.

Regards,

Danielsan

BALucas
    Participant
    31 posts
    16 August 2023 at 18:32:06 #957254

Thanks for the heads up. The re-opening date has moved out due to issues. This impacts tickets we already have in hand (September 5) once we cross the border back into Italy. We are going from Zurich to Milan and have a connection to catch in Milan to Florence. We have TrenItalia tickets from the Italian border (from Chiasso) into Milan and were going to use our Swiss Travel Pass to the Swiss\Italian border. So, do we simply count on the SBB train having enough seating (the SBB site simply says “limited seating”) and adjust our connection in Milan by by 2 hours? Or do we book explicit seats on the Gotthard Panorama Express or some other train on some other route?

Yolanda
    2401 posts
    17 August 2023 at 8:48:15 #957255

Hi BALucas,

I think, if you need to have a guaranteed arrival and you have the possibility to change your itinerary a little. I would opt with one of the alternative options listed in the post provided earlier.

That’s myself personally.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

BALucas
    Participant
    31 posts
    17 August 2023 at 10:55:40 #957256

Yolanda,

Thank you for your reply.

According to the SBB app, it says that “passenger trains will be diverted via the Panorama line until further notice. The journey time is extended by 60-120 minutes, the online timetable has not yet been adjusted. The seating and bicycle space capacities are limited.”

We were planning to use our Swiss Travel Pass to travel on the EuroCity 313 train from Zurich HB to Chiasso and then we purchased the EuroCity 313 Chiasso to Milan ticket and then a separate ticket from Milan to Florence. I just want to make sure I have the correct understanding that if the trains will be diverted via the Panorama line, we just board the EC 313 train in Zurich and the train automatically diverts and we just stay on but arrive the approximate 2 hours later in Milan? We would then adjust our Milan to Florence ticket to a later time.

I have tried looking at the other alternatives but it looks like our current route works out best, as long as I understand how the diverting works.

Thanks,

Beth

Yolanda
    2401 posts
    17 August 2023 at 12:23:03 #957257

Hello again Beth,

Yes, that would be my understanding too. Due to the diversion, the journey time would be extended.

So, yes, as a result, you’d need to change your departure for Milan to Florence.

In case you needed any information on travel to/from Italy, here’s our handy link but it sounds like you have everything in hand 🙂

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Yolanda
    2401 posts
    17 August 2023 at 12:31:06 #957258

Just to add Beth,

I’d keep tabs on the timetable prior your actual departure, just in case there are any further developments or changes.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

BALucas
    Participant
    31 posts
    17 August 2023 at 12:46:02 #957259

Thank you, Yolanda. I appreciate your post and confirming my understanding. We leave in a week and want to be sure we have everything ready to go.

Beth

BALucas
    Participant
    31 posts
    17 August 2023 at 12:46:43 #957260

Yes, we will certainly do that. I appreciate your help.

Beth

Bess
    Participant
    7 posts
    21 August 2023 at 3:39:29 #957261

Another issue I found out for those trying to go to Milan. There’s engineering work at the domosodolla to Milan route so they’re diverting people to mutilple bus transfers. Not sure if it would be worth it sadly.

Kiwirose
    Participant
    29 posts
    22 August 2023 at 7:51:56 #957262

Hi- looking for a bit of information as regards the closing of this tunnel. We will be travelling to Bellagio in Italy from Luzern on 28 September, and I had read that the easiest way would be via a direct train 12:18, then ferry/bus to Bellagio. I’ve been looking on the SBB website and now cannot locate any direct train- presuming this may be something to do with the tunnel being closed? What would you suggest as easiest way to travel – the least possible changes? We have the Swiss Travel Pass. Would we best to book- our date is set as we have accommodation booked. I would appreciate any advice! Thank you

Annika
    7131 posts
    22 August 2023 at 11:28:24 #957263

Hi Bess,

Thanks for the heads-up! Yes, there are replacement buses between Domodossola and Locarno. Alternatively, you could use train connections Domodossola-Milan via Arona/Novara. Or you could ride the Centovalli line from Domodossola to Locarno, and continue to Milan from there. That’s quite a detour, but a pretty one: https://www.myswissalps.com/centovalli.

Art2164
    Participant
    28 posts
    26 August 2023 at 16:28:21 #957264

Wow. Thankfully no one was injured (according to the BBC article I read).

Quick question. I think we are okay for our original plan for Friday, Sept 15 (via boat from Lucerne to Fluelen) and then via the ‘Treno Gottardo’ from Fluelen to Lugano (with a stop at Bellinzona Castles). I’m assuming we won’t need to make any other arrangements. Other than an expectation that it may be busier and longer time wise? Thank you.

Also, a little reminder to all travelers to remain patient and courteous to everyone who make Swiss Train Travel the best train experience in the World.

Anna
    6401 posts
    26 August 2023 at 16:46:59 #957265

Hi Art2164,

That’s right. You have nothing to worry about as your connection doesn’t include travel through the Gotthard Tunnel. However there may be delays due to increased passenger traffic on the Gotthard panorama route as a result of the tunnel closure. Be sure to check the SBB timetable for updated schedules: http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

Regards,

Anna

RameshN
    Participant
    5 posts
    26 August 2023 at 17:39:17 #957266

Hi,

Myself and My wife are planning to take a direct train from Zurich to Venice on Sept 16th. we have swiss pass. I have heard from my travel agency that there is no direct train but both Sbb and Trenitalia show this train EC 311 available.

Can we go ahead and buy this ticket ?

thanks

Ramesh

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 August 2023 at 18:38:50 #957267

Hi Ramesh,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Yes, that direct train is still scheduled to operate, but the trip will take about an hour longer than usual because of the closed tunnel. You’ll find tickets here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy/price

RameshN
    Participant
    5 posts
    27 August 2023 at 3:52:12 #957268

Great, thanks Arno. very conveneient link with several options to book the ticket.

Given I have swiss pass, I tried to book the ticket from chiasso or lugano to Venice. But that train donot show up. If I change it to start from Zurich, it shows up. Is there a way I can leverage my swiss pass and save the ticket cost up to Chiasso. I believe, this is what some of the threads in this forum indicated. Please guide me how to go about making this booking.

thanks

Ramesh

RameshN
    Participant
    5 posts
    27 August 2023 at 3:59:05 #957269

Sorry, my mistake. it does show up fine if I select Lugano but not chiasso. So, given I have swiss pass, should I go ahead and book my ticket from lugano to venice ? And if I do this, assume I can board at Zurich and donot have to change any train till venice ?

thanks again

Ramesh

Yolanda
    2401 posts
    27 August 2023 at 5:17:35 #957270

Hi Ramesh,

With a Swiss Travel Pass, you would only need to purchase a ticket from Chiasso onwards to Venice. It should display as an option?

There is no need to change trains unless the SBB timetable schedule requires you to do so. So if the train is a direct journey, just stay on board and enjoy (from Zurich to Venice).

Kind regards,

Yolanda

RameshN
    Participant
    5 posts
    27 August 2023 at 5:31:37 #957271

Thank you. For some reason, if I select chiasso, it is not showing EC311 as an option with Trenitalia, Omia, Trainline etc. Only SBB site is giving me that option. Let me go ahead and do that.

thank you.

Ramesh

Yolanda
    2401 posts
    27 August 2023 at 5:44:57 #957272

No problem Ramesh,

Just for your information, I just carried out a quick search on Trainline (http://www.thetrainline.com). I found a direct train from Chiasso to Venice, departing at 11.02 from Chiasso.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • The thread ‘Gotthard Base Tunnel – partially closed for trains until Sept 2024’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11140 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.