Gotthard Panorama Express day trip from Lucerne

• Schacko2707
    Participant
    3 posts
    26 June 2022 at 6:59:35 #827601

Hello. We will be in Switzerland for 14 days frm 10th Sept and I have bought the 15 days 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass. I am thinking of taking the Gotthard Panorama Express from Lucerne to Flüelen (steamer) + train to Lugano. I would need to topup CHF 29.50 + CHF for seat reservations. Then taking the high speed train back to Lucerne the same day.

Is this journey worth the time ? I have read the journey is an one time experience.

Appreciate your feedback and thots. Thank you 😊

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 June 2022 at 10:08:33 #943597

Hi Schack02707,

Wonderful that you get to spend two weeks in Switzerland! I think you’ll love the flexibility of the Swiss Travel Pass.

As for a Gotthard Panorama Express day trip from Lucerne: yes, I think that’s worth it. I’ve done the journey myself and really appreciated the scenery, the comfort of the train and the information provided along the route. You would indeed need to pay for an upgrade to 1st class and for the seat reservations. This is only required for the train leg Flüelen-Lugano. You don’t need anything extra for the boat segment. Just show your Swiss Travel Pass when asked for and that’s all:

You’ll arrive at Lugano at 16:41. That’s plenty of time to travel back to Lucerne using the quick base tunnel connection. The full journey will only take 1h40 to 1h50. You could even consider dining on board of the train back to add to the experience:

I hope this helps you out!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2022 at 23:01:38 #943598

You can do the same trip on regular trains without extra fares, and with more flexibility (The Gotthard Panorama Express runs only once per day 6 days a week, southbound only in the afternoon.

Alternatives include:

Luzern – Lugano: any boat Luzern – Fluelen, then any ‘Treno Gottardo’ train over the Gotthard mountain route to Bellinzona and Locarno (nicer than Lugano), or connecting train to Lugano

Lugano – Luzern via base tunnel route

Do the Lake Luzern full lake trip to Fluelen as a separate day trip, and do the Lugano or Locarno trip by train both ways

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2022 at 5:06:29 #943599

Hi Schacko2707,

You can read bout the differences between the Gotthard Panorama Express and local trains here (under the title ‘Regular trains and boats versus the official Gotthard Panorama Express’): http://www.myswissalps.com/gotthardpanoramaexpress

I hope that helps,

Ildiko

• The thread ‘Gotthard Panorama Express day trip from Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.