Glacier Express train day trip from Lucerne 30 Dec

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 December 2016 at 12:15:42 #810463

I have valid 4 day family swiss pass.

On 30th of December I would like to enjoy the experience of entering in to this train. We a group of 11 inlcuding 6 adults and 5 kids.

I would like to start the journey from Lucern and would like to stop at Zurich

If you do not have stops / routs then you may please advice me which is the nearest stations ( starting point near to Lucern and Stop point Near to Zurich )

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    21 December 2016 at 7:21:07 #857488

Hi haksarch, welcome to MySwissAlps!

It’s quite a challenge to make a Glacier Express ride in one day, all the way from Lucerne/Zurich, and in December (not much daylight). You’ll find all details on our Glacier Express page: myswissalps.com/ glacierexpress. Particularly pay attention to the section “Don’t have time to do the full route?”.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 December 2016 at 8:33:23 #857489

Hi,

We lived in Lausanne on our visit in Oct. This is how we did it : We left Lausanne by 08:18AM to Brig; boarded the Glacier Express at Brig at 10:18AM, arrived St Moritz 16:58. We took the 18:02 back from St Moritz and reached Lausanne at midnight! It was a long day, but well worth it. I would do it again, and again. (We did The Zermatt-Brig leg later, when we visited Klein Matterhorn)

So you could try : take a train from Lucerne to Brig . Take GEX from Brig to St Moritz. Then back from St Moritz to Zurich.

From Lucerne, take the 7AM or the 8AM train. (the latter option gives you only 7 minutes before the next train starts, and thats a bit tight, so i would take the former). From St Moritz, take the 18:02, and reach Zurich at 21:23. Sounds like a plan?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 December 2016 at 9:06:03 #857490

thanks a lot for the replies. I got another option suggested by Glacier Express team itself. I am very much thankful for their service.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 December 2016 at 10:22:56 #857491

Hi There

I am also interested in doing this route as I am staying originally staying in Montreux and moving onto Luzern to make my way up to Zurich before going onto Salzburg.

I like the sound of going on the glacier Express from Luzern to Zurich could you please also advise on the other route you were offered haksarch

Also is this complete route covered with the Swiss Travel Pass (this is the correct pass for consecutive travel for Europeans )

Many thanks in advance and Merry Christmas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 December 2016 at 10:25:39 #857492

Ok we will do it a little different than usual.

I just made the booking for you and tell you now your travel plan for the 30.12.2016.

You first need to take the train in Luzern at 08.00 change in Bern than you will arrive in Brig at 10.11.

In Brig the Glacier Express is departing at 10.18 just in front of the station building.

Attached you can see you seat assignment for the journey. With this sheet you need to go to a station in advance and pay for the reservation or you can pay it by the train conductor on Glacier Express.

Than you arrive in Chur at 14.35

The following connection from Chur to Zürich will be: 15.09 than you will arrive in Zürich at 16.23

As it would be a way to long way to go back to Luzern you will need to take your luggage with you or you send it directly to the Hotel in Zürich. To do this you Hotel in Luzern can help you.

Arno
    15483 posts
    21 December 2016 at 11:22:06 #857493

Hi twiggy321,

All train routes in Switzerland are covered, including the one suggested by haksarch. You can find details on the Swiss Travel Pass map.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 December 2016 at 7:34:30 #857494

Haksarch,

at the cost of being repetitive, some of the most beautiful scenery is towards the end of the journey. unless time’s a constraint, do consider going all the way till St Moritz.

• The thread ‘Glacier Express train day trip from Lucerne 30 Dec’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.