Great trip to Zermatt and Zurich, thank you

• Fballguy
    Participant
    39 posts
    1 January 2020 at 22:15:14 #824775

My wife and I spent a bucket list week in Zurich and Zermatt in December and the trip exceeded every expectation. Our initial reaction after arriving was “why did we only book one week”? Anyway…Just want to thank the forum for the help offered. It was very helpful and much appreciated. Already planning the next trip back. Happy New Year!

Rob

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 January 2020 at 6:56:52 #927241

Hi Rob,

I am so glad to hear that you had a great holiday in Switzerland. Thank you for your appreciation of this site. Would you like to share a bit more about your experiences? What have you seen and what did you like the most?

If you need any help with the planning of your next trip to Switzerland, just let us know.

Happy New Year to you and your wife!

Ildiko

Fballguy
    Participant
    39 posts
    3 January 2020 at 23:51:51 #927242

The bulk of our trip was spent in Zermatt and it was exactly as we had imagined. We wanted a snowy, Christmas-y vacation and that’s what we got. It snowed nearly every day and was every bit the Winter Wonderland we were hoping for.

Our original reservation was at the Grand Hotel Zermatterhof, but after reading reviews of the Best Western Butterfly and seeing it was about a third of the price, we switched and I’m glad we did. It was great. Very cozy. Great food in the restaurant. A nice afternoon tea (which we drank wine at instead). Our room was very big and on the top floor. Nice balcony which we took advantage of. The only challenge was the slanted ceiling beams, which I had to crouch to pass under (and forgot to crouch at least a half dozen times). But no problem. We loved the room and the hotel. Would highly recommend it to anyone staying in Zermatt. Perfectly located near the train station, which we discovered after lugging our suitcases for about a quarter mile in the wrong direction. We did visit Zermatterhof for a meal and it’s a beautiful hotel without a doubt, but the money we saved is nearly enough for another vacation. I was happy with our decision.

For our first full day we took the train to Gornergrat. It was a beautiful ride up the mountain and the view from the top was breathtaking. It was like stepping into a postcard. What I loved about it was that we were free to explore on our own once we got off the train. No park rangers, security guards or “off limits” signs. If I wanted to swan dive off the mountain, I was free to do so. Unlike the U.S. where everyone is overly protected from themselves.

It was a perfectly clear day and we took many pictures and enjoyed some wine outside with a Matterhorn view. Later in the afternoon, we took the train down the mountain one stop to Rotenboden and when we got off the train we were the only ones there! It was cool feeling to wander around the mountain with not another soul to be found. The day couldn’t have been more perfect. Well, maybe if I saw an Ibex…but short of that just perfect.

Because of the windy weather, the mountains were closed for the next few days but that gave us the opportunity to explore the town. On those days, the lowest level of the Matterhorn cable car was operating so we took it to Furi. It was our first experience with the cable cars and my wife was very nervous despite the nearly parallel to the ground trip to the first stop, where we got off. In Furi, we went on a hike on a snowy path that I would’ve liked to have taken all they way back to the village. Unfortunately I didn’t realize we were going the “long” way until we came upon a sign that said Zermatt was two hours away. Undeterred, we wanted to forge ahead, but the snow was picking up and we found the trail had been blocked by what appeared to be a little avalanche. We either had to climb over the mound of snow or double back. We doubled back, found a cute little restaurant for a snack and more wine, after which we walked back to town the “right” way just as it was getting dark.

On our second to last day in Zermatt, the top of the mountains opened again, however, it was still very windy. We jumped at the opportunity to visit the Glacier Paradise. What an experience! Having seen the lifts from down in the village, we knew they were high but really had no idea how vertical the climb was until we were on it. As we neared the top, the wind driven snow squalls made for quite an awe inspiring approach. It was so windy and cold at the top I could only stay on the outdoor observation deck for a couple minutes. Most people, including my wife, didn’t even attempt it. After grabbing a snack and a nerve calming drink, we began to check out the ice sculptures which were very cool. However, 10 minutes in we were waved down by a park employee and told that the mountain was again closed and we had to head down. It was still about 90 minutes from normal closing time but I guess the winds had gotten too strong. As we boarded our car to head down, the attendant warned us that it would be a bumpy ride, but that we were safe. He was right. It was rough, due in no small part to the car stopping every two minutes and leaving us swinging in the wind a thousand feet up. Our car had eight people in it and there was no shortage of groans and/or nervous laughter as we swung in the wind just a few hundred feet from the top of the mountain, for what seemed like an eternity. Amazing view though.

It was a sad day when we had to leave. As soon as we arrived, we regretted booking only a week and our resolve to return was strengthened as our train pulled out of the station at weeks end. Definitely one of my favorite vacations to this point and I look forward to visiting again soon.

Anna
    6376 posts
    4 January 2020 at 7:17:35 #927243

Hi Fballguy,

Thanks for sharing your travel experience. Glad to know you had a great time in Zermatt! Do share pictures if you have time.

Happy new year and regards,

Anna

Fballguy
    Participant
    39 posts
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2020 at 19:15:39 #927245

Hello Fballguy,

Thank you for posting your travel report and all the lovely photos! We are happy to know you found this forum helpful. We will welcome you back again with your second trip to Switzerland.

Happy New Year!

Best wishes,

Suzanne

• The thread ‘Great trip to Zermatt and Zurich, thank you’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.