Guidance for how to book train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2013 at 3:57:03 #805975

We are travelling from Paris to Grindelwald in August and I am finding it confusing when checking trains online. There is more than one station at Interlaken and am not sure whether to go through Bern or Basel. I have looked at the raileurope site, en.voyages-snff.com & sbb site. Also I am wondering if it is worth purchasing some kind of swiss pass. We are spending 3 days in Grindelwald and travelling to Rome on the 4th day. I saw the info on the family pass and that children under 15 travel free with parents. We have 3 children. Our oldest is 15 and doesn’t turn 16 till December 2013. Is she eligible as a child?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7122 posts
    6 May 2013 at 13:06:14 #838610

Welcome to the forum Debbie! I think you should look into the Swiss Card. The trip Basel-Grindelwald will be for free, and so will the trip Grindelwald-Domodossola (at the Swiss-Italian border) be. You’ll receive a 50% discount for your remaining trips from Grindelwald. As long as your oldest child is still 15 when traveling in August, she can use the Swiss Family Card and travel along for free. All details and ordering options can be found here.

The most reliable timetable is the SBB timetable. Just enter Paris as your departure station and Grindelwald as your destination and pick the right date and preferred time of traveling. All connections will then be displayed. Click the plus symbol at the right for details on each connection, such as intermediate stops. As you’ll see, the quickest and easiest option would be to travel via Basel. You’d change trains in Basel and Interlaken Ost. Traveling via Geneva and Bern is an option too, but that takes more time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2013 at 9:19:32 #838611

Thank you Annika for your information. Can you confirm that children travel up to Jungfraujoch for free if we purchase the Swiss card and that we (adults) would get a 50% discount. I had a look on SBB website tonight to look at how to book but am still not sure how to do it but will have more of a play around with it tomorrow night. The Jungfraujoch is between 145 CHF to 200CHF return depending on the time of day so if this was the case it would save a lot money.

Thanks

Debbie

Annika
    7122 posts
    7 May 2013 at 9:45:57 #838612

Hello Debbie,

Yes, with a Swiss Card + the free Family Card, children travel along for free, and the parents get a 50% discount on the Jungfraujoch trip. You can verify such details are at the Swiss Card page (see the link in my previous post), which includes a downloadable map showing where you’ll get discounts. You can get the Swiss Card and Family Card here from your local reseller or here from the SBB webshop.

The Jungfraujoch price is fixed, regardless of the time of day. You may have seen the Good Morning Ticket or Good Afternoon Ticket, which need to be used in a specific timeframe, but they’re not relevant as you get a better discount with the Swiss Card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2013 at 8:16:22 #838613

Annika,

Once I purchase the swiss cards how do I book my train tickets for Switzerland. I emailed SBB and this is the reply I received. I want to book our train travel to and from Grindelwald before we go. Would I have to book it in different sectors as the swiss card is only eligible in Switzerland? I would prefer to not have to change trains although I know this is not possible at Interlaken Ost.

Thanks

It is not possible to place an order by the online ticketshop or e-mail for the reduction 2 adult swiss cards and a family pass.
    You may also place your order through the Rail Service under the telephone number 0041 512 25 78 91.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 May 2013 at 9:21:08 #838614

Hi Debbie,

Actually there’s nothing else that you need to book. The Swiss Card includes your trip from Basel to Grindelwald for free. You can just board any train you’ll find in the timetable Annika referred to.

If you want, you can book seats for the leg Basel to Interlaken Ost here, at the same website where you can order the Swiss Card. But it’s not necessary to do so.

• The thread ‘Guidance for how to book train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.