Guidance needed to select the pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2014 at 19:19:19 #806296

Hi ,

We(2 adults + 1kid aged 3 )are travelling from Paris to Switzerland ( Basel / Lucerne). I have not yet decided the destination. Which one is recommended?

As the passes are for 4 days we thought it would be better to travel direct to Lucerne so that the pass gets validated only from 28th May

Our itinerary is as follows

27 May – Stay in Lucerne, city tour.

28th May – Visit Mt.Titlis

28th May – Return to Lucerne and onward journey to Lauterbrunnen. Stay in lauterbrunnen.

29th May – Visit jungfraujoch, boat ride (lake thun/lake brienz – which one is recommended )stay Lauterbrunnen

30th May – Visit Schilthorn , lauterbrunnen village sight seeing,Interlaken city tour/ any other suggestions stay in lauterbrunnen

31st Lauterbrunnen – zurich . Flight is at 14.30

We thought of taking Bernese Oberland pass but in one of the threads I read Lucerne is not covered in this regional pass. Is Lucerne covered in this pass?Also our last day travel to Zurich will not be covered in this regional pass. Based on my itinerary which pass do you recommend.

Also please advice where I can buy the regional pass/ swiss pass?

Is there any reduction if we book the tickets 1 month in advance or will the tariff be the same even on purchase after reaching Lucerne on 27th may?

Does the kid(3years age) travel free in the trains and also to the peaks(Jungfraujoch/Schilthorn/Titlis)?

Regards

Srijith

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    6 April 2014 at 9:29:37 #839717

Hi Srijith, welcome to MySwissAlps,

A Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland would be a good option for your trip. You may have read an older thread about it, but currently Lucerne is covered in the pass. Not all attractions around Lucerne are covered, but in your case it’s a good fit, as you will get a 50% discount on the trip to the Titlis, and the train transfer to Lauterbrunnen is free. See the pass page for all detailed information about the pass.

The regional pass can be purchased locally (I’m not 100% sure about Lucerne as it’s not in the Bernese Oberland, but it is within the pass area). From mid-April, you can also get it online through the Swiss Railways webshop. A direct link will be available by then on the price page. The price is the same, except for the shipping which depends on the method you choose. You can have it shipped to your home address but also to your hotel in Lucerne for example, which is the cheapest and quickest option.

The trip from Lauterbrunnen to Zurich Airport is free until Bern, so you need a regular ticket from Bern to Zurich Airport. You can get it online or at any Swiss rail station.

The child travels for free as explained on the pass page. Boat trip information can be found here.

• The thread ‘Guidance needed to select the pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.