Half fare card in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2015 at 19:06:22 #806876

I will be travelling from Paris to Interlaken on 12-May-2015. Is is better to take a train to Bern so that I can buy a swiss half fare card there which I can use for the Bern-Interlaken part of journey? Or else is it better to take the direct train to Interlaken and buy swiss half fare card there?

We will be travelling to Jungfrau. Is the half fare discount available for cable cars at Mt Titlis as well?

Regards

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 February 2015 at 12:06:04 #841729

Hi gurudath,

Thanks for posting here! If you prefer to buy the Swiss Half Fare Card once you reach Switzerland, you’d better do so at a border station, so that you get maximum savings on the remainder of your trip. Bern is not on the border. Basel would be the first town coming from Paris in most cases. However, you can also purchase the card online so that you don’t need to spend time on visiting a ticket desk. Discounted tickets can simply be obtained from the machines at the station. Since you’re from India you can get the card via raileurope.co.in/pass/ swiss-half-fare-card for a lower price than what it costs in Switzerland (see here for all other options please). You can buy your ticket from Paris to Basel there as well. Also be sure to check the Discounts section of the Swiss Half Fare Card page.

The map shows where you will get discounts with the Swiss Half Fare Card. Tickets to Mount Titlis are discounted as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2015 at 12:54:38 #841730

Thanks for the information. I would prefer buying half fare card once I arrive in Switzerland. I shall do it at the first Swiss station.

Regards

• The thread ‘Half fare card in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.