Half Fare Travel Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2015 at 10:09:20 #806977

I intend travelling from Lucerne to Interlaken via the Golden Pass Panoramic Train and hence wanted to check if half fares that are applicable with Half Fare travel card be applicable on the Golden Pass Panoramic Train. If yes then how do I select this option online while booking the tickets. I just see the options for rail passes and not for Half fare card. Can someone please help and advise?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    12 March 2015 at 11:53:08 #842003

Hi sbmyname,

The Swiss Half Fare Card grants a discount on all trains on the lines as indicated on the map, including the Golden Pass trains. There is no official “Golden Pass Panoramic” train between Lucerne and Interlaken, only between Montreux and Zweisimmen. But, the leg from Lucerne to Interlaken is beautiful as well and the windows of the trains are pretty large. You don’t need to book tickets in advance, and most websites do not offer these discounted tickets online yet. The SBB website does, but you can buy the tickets on the day as well. You don’t need seat reservations. Simply get a ticket and board the train. Further information is on the Golden Pass page.

Enjoy the ride!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2015 at 6:19:08 #842004

thanks, appreciate your response. Could you also let me know what would be the difference between the Golden Pass train and the other trains. When I look at the prices, the prices for tickets from Lucerne top Interlaken for trains other than the Golden pass are much cheaper.

Don’t they go via the same route…..

Arno
    15482 posts
    14 March 2015 at 7:13:11 #842005

Hi again,

The train tickets are described on the Golden Pass page I referred to in my last post. The price for all trains is exactly the same, and they all follow the same route. You may have been looking at ticket prices including a seat reservation versus tickets without a reservation. You don’t need reservations for most trains (please see the Tickets section of the Golden Pass page). Just get your reduced ticket at the station and board a train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2015 at 18:59:25 #842006

thanks a ton, appreciate all your help. I was wanting to buy the half fare card online for 2nd class and on the site for India (as I live here), it says its for 1st class. I searched all the other sites as well but did not see any mention of 1st class or 2nd class. Is there only one half fare card applicable to both 1st and 2nd class or there are separate half fare cards for 1st class and 2nd class.

thanks once again for all your help

sapna

Arno
    15482 posts
    23 March 2015 at 19:09:08 #842007

Hi Sapna,

Was it this website where you wanted to order? They indeed mention 1st class in their price table, but actually the Swiss Half Fare Card is valid for both classes. There is just one type of Swiss Half Fare Card, and you can buy 1st and 2nd class tickets with it. So it’s fine. This is the card you need.

Further Swiss Half Fare Card information can be found here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2015 at 3:42:44 #842008

thanks a ton Arno for your prompt response, really appreciate all your help

regards,

sapna

• The thread ‘Half Fare Travel Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.