Half rail pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2016 at 22:17:58 #809362

Hello,

I’m visiting friends in Switzerland and they recommended purchasing a half pass rail ticket. I flyout tomorrow. Is this pass something I can purchase at the Geneva rail station?

Also I’m spending nine days in the Geneva area with friends. I’m considering spending an overnight in either Lausanne, Laveux, or Montreux – any low cost (I know that’s not likely in Switzerland) hotels? Is it necessary to stay overnight there if I have free lodging in Geneva?

-Lindsay

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 June 2016 at 6:41:18 #852652

Hi Lindsay, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Your friends probably mean the 1-month Swiss Half Fare Card. It’s too late to buy online now, so you’d best go to the train station at the airport to buy one. They will need to check your passport and collect some passenger data (name, birth date). The Lavaux area and Montreux can be reached from Geneva in about an hour, so you don’t need to spend a night there. If you still like to book an hotel, please post in the Accommodation forum and provide some additional information about your requirements.

Enjoy your stay!

• The thread ‘Half rail pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.