Harder Kulm vs Schynige Platte, plus Gornergrat

• Explorer21
    Participant
    13 posts
    17 July 2022 at 3:45:05 #827789

If I only have time to do one which should I do? Harder Klum or Schynige Platte? Also, is the Gornergrat train worth the time to take the trip or just spend the day walking around Zermatt?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 July 2022 at 11:16:40 #944397

Hi Explorer21!

My personal favorite would be Schynige Platte. The cogwheel train ride with its fantastic views is an experience in itself, and you’re closer to the highest mountains than from Harder Kulm. Harder Kulm on the other hand is a very nice destination that can quickly be reached, so if you’re short on time that’s a perfect option. You can compare both below and see what appeals to you most:

Gornergrat is for sure worth it in my opinion. You’ll have one of the best views of the iconic Matterhorn there:

I don’t know much time you have available in Zermatt, but the ride to Gornergrat doesn’t last that long. So maybe you can even combine it with a nice village walk, such as https://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/zermatt.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2022 at 0:08:49 #944398

There is no comparison between Harder Kulm and Schynige Platte! Schynige Platte is more interesting by far. The railway is operated by arguably the oldest trains running in Europe (if not the world) and there are incredibly characterful. Small narrow carriages with open sides pushed up the mountain side by little ‘box’ locomotives, some of which are 110 years old.

You absolutely cannot miss Gornergrat. The Gornergrat railway is the most scenic high mountain railway in Europe giving constant views of not only the famous Matterhorn, but also the highest mountain on Swiss territory, the Dufourspitz (part of the Monte Rosa massif)

• The thread ‘Harder Kulm vs Schynige Platte, plus Gornergrat’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.