Haute Route, Chamonix to Zermatt

• Vlasta
    Participant
    58 posts
    10 July 2015 at 16:35:56 #807536

Has anyone done the Haute Route? My husband and son will be doing it starting in Chamonix, my daughter and I will be on our own staying in hotels and sightseeing. Wondering about the difficulty of the hiking itself and where would be good villages to meet up with them every few days and the best mode of transportation to get to these villages for me and her. Many Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 July 2015 at 22:36:46 #844380

Don’t have a good answer, but this website is likely to have answers.

http://www.wanderland.ch/en/n ational-routes.html

You may need to feed in village names to get to the details for that route.

Slowpoke

Annika
    7124 posts
    11 July 2015 at 17:21:50 #844381

Welcome back, Vlasta!

The Wanderland website that Slowpoke mentioned is indeed a good source for long distance trails. Apart from that, this route has been discussed in previous topics. The links and tips mentioned there may help you out as well:

It’s a difficult and at some points exposed route, especially to non-experienced hikers. If your husband and son are not used to strenuous mountain hikes, they’d better look for a less challenging alternative, or join a guided tour. Make sure to read our hiking tips too.

If they decide to walk the Haute Route, you and your daughter can stay in towns along the way like Zermatt, Grimentz, Verbier, etc. Just take a look at a detailed hiking map, decide what the hikers’ planning looks like, and then decide where to stay during which days. The timetable will help you find the quickest connections between towns.

• The thread ‘Haute Route, Chamonix to Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.