Switzerland trip plans family of 4 in July

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2018 at 18:39:32 #816385

I am planning to visit Switzerland along with my wife and 10&7 years old kids for 8 days 9 nights from 29th June till 8th July 2018 and would like to cover all the top destinations. Can you please help in this so that I can plan my itinerary accordingly to cover these destinations as I would prefer to cover all in these 8 days.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    2 June 2018 at 20:35:25 #887096

1: have a good read of this site and check previous questions that you might think relevant to your inquiry.

2: don’t aim to do too much on too many days especially with children. Consider one or two “bases” from which you can do day trips.

3: come back here with some specific questions based on your preliminary research.

4 expect to have a wonderful time in Switzerland knowing that wherever you go you’ll find magnificent scenery – and don’t overlook some of the areas less often visited by international tourists (e.g. northeast Switzerland)

Enjoy your travels!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 4:50:19 #887097

Hi Varunnanda and welcome to MySwissAlps!

We don’t create itineraries here, but as Gunzel says, we are happy to help with any questions you have on your own itinerary. It seems like you have already booked flights? Have you booked hotels? What made you decide to travel to Switzerland?

Have a look at the following pages on our website to get you started:

Also let us know what your interests are when you ask for feedback. Are you looking for mountain visits, museums or scenic trains rides etc.

Be sure to use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out trips you want to make by train, bus, cable car and boat: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 5:35:52 #887098

Hi Varun

Over the last few years we have been doing trips with my family (with kids of similar ages ) into Switzerland..Let me suggest on the basis of my experience ..and you may tweak/ alter to suit your specific requirements .

1. Presume your kids would like to see lots of snow and mountains like mine do . Suggest a 3/4 day halt at Interlaken or Grindelwald ..This will be a base for you to do Jungfraujoch (my kids enjoyed the actives there including the Zipline etc on the snow – all for SGD 45 per person) and Schilthorn (a very different experience and also comes free with your Swiss Travel Pass). Enroute to Schilthorn you could do the kid friendly trek from Murren to Gimmelwald (authentic Swiss Village) before you take the cable car down .

The other mountain trip suggested would be Matternorn …for which the base would be Zermatt

2. Based in Interlaken you could spent some time on the lakes (Brienz) .

3. A day trip into the chocolate factory at Broc and the neighbouring Cheese factory can be done ..out of INterlakken

4. A big swiss city experience in Zurich with excursions in to the Rhine falls . Zurich also has lovely city walks in addition to the FIFA museum and a good zoo …and a few historical buildings

5. You need to add in at lease or two of the scenic trains …Glacier express ( Chur to Zermatt ), Bernina (Chur to Tirano/Lugano), Golden Pass (Luzern to Montreux).. Kids find the Glacier Express longer..and so you could do the Bernina and Golden Pass .

6. Spend some time in Lugano /Locarno to get a flavour of the Italian side of Switzerland . Similarly a place like Martigny /Montreux provides a flavour of the French cultural influence .

7. A day trip into Berne ..whiich has got a few attractions for the kids .

All put a broad suggestion for a 10 day tip would be

Day1 Head to Interlaken and establish it as a base for a week .. Kids typically do not want to relocate every 3 days

Day 1 – Interlaken – Brienz – – Interlaken

Day 2 – Interlaken – Grindelwald – Jungrauch – Interlaken

Day 3 – Golden Pass – to MOntreaux – Martigny – Interlaken

Day 4 – Interlaken – SChilthorn – Gimmelwald – Latterbrunen – Intelralken

Day 5 – interkaken – Choclate (Broc) / Cheese Factory – Interlaken

Day 6 – Interlaken – Luzern (Scenic route) – City Tour – Boat cruise

Day 7 – INterlaken – Zermatt – Matterhorn – Interlakken

Day 8 – Transfer to Zurich – City Tour – FIFA musuem (kids love it) . Cruise on Limmat

Day 9 – Zurich – Chur – Bernina Express – Tirano/ Lugano – Return

Day 10 – Zurich – Rhine Falls – Rhein am Stein – Zurich

Day 11 – Zurich – Sargans – Appenzil or Mainefield (Heididorf) – Zurich .

You may want to keep one travel free day in your 12day trip where you can leisurely stroll around Interlaken , while the kids paraglide .

This is a broad itinerary …you can tweak it …Switzerland is always enjoyable …..have a good journey

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 2:26:59 #887099

Thanks for your advice. I will browse more before booking.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 2:28:04 #887100

Thanks a lot for your help. I think you have solved 80% of my questions and rest I can sort out from my end.

• The thread ‘Switzerland trip plans family of 4 in July’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.