Help me plan activities for my 1st time in Zermatt

• Alp_Explorer
    Participant
    6 posts
    14 July 2022 at 1:24:51 #827769

Hi guys,

I will be going to Zermatt for 4N/5Days and will be traveling with a STP. It will be my first time visiting Zermatt and I am really excited for this. This is what I’ve planned so far:

Day 1: I will reach Zermatt around 9:30-10pm. So I don’t think I can do anything on this day. If there is anything that I can do at night in Zermatt please let me know.

Day 2: Visit Gornergrat on the cog wheel train. And spend some time on the top. How long does this trip take? What can I do later this day if I have time?

Day 3: Visit Klein Matterhorn. Spend some time on the top. How long does this trip take? What do I do later this day if I have time?

Day 4: Take the funicular to Sunnega and go for the 5 lakes hike. Can I just visit 2 lakes and return or do I have to complete the whole hike? I don’t think I can walk for 10kms.

Day 5: Checkout of the hotel. Take the Glacier Express to St Moritz in the morning.

Please help me perfect my itinerary. Looking forward to your replies.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2022 at 8:58:57 #944291

Hi Alp Explorer,

Day 1, I do not think you need more activity in Zermatt for this day, you can have a walk in the old town, it is beautiful. 🙂

Day 2, one route takes around 40 mins by the cogwheel train. There are great hiking routes, if you like hiking: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking Use the filter to narrow down your search.

Day 3, it takes around 50 mins. You have to change a few times, but it will be easy.

Day 4, yes, you can visit just the 2 lakes if you wish.

Take care,

Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2022 at 15:33:48 #944292

When we go there next year we are going paragliding. It looks like fun and the views should be spectacular.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2022 at 17:45:03 #944293

That is right! Tandem paragliding in the area is amazing. We recommend these companies:

More activity tips in and around Zermatt: http://www.myswissalps.com/zermatt/activities

Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2022 at 18:25:24 #944294

We are going with Fly Zermatt, they are over $50. less than Viator. Viator’s description of 2 hours duration is misleading. That is the total time, flight time is 15 minutes to 35 minutes, depending on which plan you get.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2022 at 19:00:16 #944295

Hi Jafaux,

prices depend on flying time and extras like video/DVD etc. There are other prices on the second link I’ve shared.

The Viator one is operated by Zermatt Paragliding. The 2 hrs is the total time of the program (meet&greet, get to the mountain, wait for the wind etc. and fly).

I am glad you’ve already found a paragliding company you like. 🙂

Have a safe flight!

Ildiko

Alp_Explorer
    Participant
    6 posts
    16 July 2022 at 23:02:46 #944296

What restaurants do you’ll recommend in Zermatt?

Do you recommend me visiting any of the near by towns like Randa or Tasch? Is there anything interesting to do there?

Anna
    6382 posts
    18 July 2022 at 4:15:17 #944297

Hi Alp Explorer,

You can find a list of recommended restaurants in Zermatt here.

Randa and Täsch are small villages easily accessible by train from Zermatt. There are plenty of hiking and cycling trails in both destinations if you’re looking for activities at lower elevation. Certainly worth the visit if you have time.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Help me plan activities for my 1st time in Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.