Help me to find right tickets!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2011 at 12:55:32 #804618

Hello,

My husband and I are going to Interlaken in September.. Have been trying to find right tickets but it looks so complex to me.. Please see our itinerary below and guide us which tickets are best for us and how we can buy those tickets… Many thanks..

– Flight from London to Zurich on 3 Sep 2011
    – We need a train from Zurich to Interlaken : 3 Sep / afternoon
    – Accommodation booked in Interlaken: 3 ~ 6 Sep 2011
    – We need a train from Interlaken to Venice (Over night train): 6 Sep / evening

As we are planning to staying in Interlaken for three days, we only need a train from airport to Interlaken and then to Venice.. I think one way ticket rather than swiss pass/flexi pass/etc might be better for us.. but can’t find the one-way ticket (price) and specially no information for over night train to Venice.. Please recommend us best tickets for us and guide us how we can buy them…

Looking forward to our trip to Swiss Alps…!!!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    16 August 2011 at 8:23:02 #833922

Hi loveox! If the trips Zurich-Interlaken and Interlaken-Swiss border are the only ones you plan to make in Switzerland, it’s indeed best to use regular train tickets. Please note that you also need seat reservations for the outbound trip from Switzerland to Italy. You can arrange for your tickets and seat reservations at the Swiss railway stations, or online in advance.

If you plan to make a few trips from Interlaken by public transport, the Swiss Half Fare Card will most probably be cheaper than purchasing regular tickets. It’ll provide a 50% discount to your inbound and outbound trips as well. If you’ll be making some trips during your stay in Interlaken, calculations may help you to find out whether a pass is worth your money.

Train connections and regular fares can be found in the Swiss timetable. Night trains are included as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2011 at 12:32:56 #833923

Thanks, Annika.

We plan to travel to Jungfraujoch from Interlaken but I understand that the Jungfraujoch railyways network is an independant company.. Is my understanding right?? or can we use Swiss Half Fare Card for the journey to Jungfraujoch??

Is there any difference in price between buying tickets at the Swiss railway stations and online in advance??

I have checked Swiss timetable for the journey from interlaken to Venice.. but apparently we have to trasfer at least 3 times (if we take night train)..
    Is there any bus company operating between Interlaken or Zurich and Venice or near Venice?? (Checked Eurolines but they don’t operate this route)

Thank you for your help in advance..

Arno
    15483 posts
    16 August 2011 at 13:17:50 #833924

Ho loveox,

Many Swiss railroads are private companies, but you don’t need to worry about that. Just take a look at the map linked from the Swiss Half Fare Card page and you’ll see what’s included. The Jungfraujoch is included as well.

Tickets purchased through the Swiss railways are priced the same everywhere, but other resellers may charge less or more.

I don’t know about buses. The train is the most obvious way to travel, especially if you already have a pass.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2011 at 9:12:56 #833925

Thank you Annika,
    Thanks to your help, we purchased the Swiss Half Fare Card.

Our journeys are as below;
    – Zurich to Interlaken
    – Interlaken to Jungfraujoch (Return)
    – Interlaken to Domodossola

Do we need to buy tickets in advance? Or can we buy the tickets at rail station just before the departure..
    We understand that we need to buy sear reservations for the journet from Interlakent o Domodossola..Can we arrange it at rail station on the day of travel?? Or do we need to book in advance..

Thank you for your help..

Annika
    7116 posts
    19 August 2011 at 9:29:23 #833926

Hi loveox! No, you don’t have to buy your tickets in advance. You can just buy them before boarding. As for seat reservation: it depends on your connection and the types of train you use whether a seat reservation for the journey to Italy is required. This FAQ explains how the timetable shows whether seat reservations are necessary. You can arrange for the seat reservation here, or while you’re in Interlaken (with a small risk of finding out that no seats are available anymore).

• The thread ‘Help me to find right tickets!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.