Help on choosing rail passes for 4 days Muerren

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2016 at 14:59:03 #809650

Hi all, this is my first post. My name is Cesar and I´m from Argentina.

We are a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 six year old childs).

We are coming from Paris on September 20 and arrive to Basel train station. From there we want to go to Muerren for 4 days. We plan to stay in the Junfrau region our entire stay.

After that, we need to go to Stresa (Italy) as we have a rented car to pick up.

What would be our best option for passes?

Thank you,

Cesar

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 July 2016 at 16:47:02 #853996

Hello Cesar,

Thanks for your post! The best pass depends on what you will be doing while in Mürren, but the two to consider in any case are:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2016 at 18:38:15 #853997

Hi Arno,

I don´t know how many trains/gondolas I will be needing while in Muerren, it´s my first time there so probably I would like to move around a lot.

I couldn´t find much about the Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi, the link only specifies the Transfer Ticket only.

Regarding the different passes, I was also evaluating the Junfrau pass, similar to the BO but limited to the Junfrau region. It also gives you 50% off to Junfraujoch. I don´t think we will be leaving that region.

If I do choose the JP or the BOP I have to consider the transportation from Basel to Interlaken and then from Interlaken to Stresa. With the STTC those trips are covered, right?

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 July 2016 at 19:55:35 #853998

Hi Cesar,

The Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi covers Basel to Murren, 50% off tickets on trips while there, and Murren to the Swiss border. So that’s basically all you need in Switzerland, unless you prefer free unlimited traveling in the region. The page I linked to explains all about the Combi as well. Are you sure you read the entire page (all the tabs)?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2016 at 1:23:15 #853999

Hi Arno, thank you for the clarification.

So in case I choose the STTC, the return trip is cover until… Domodossola? I am correct? For what I read I need to purchase a rail ticket for the Italian part (Domodossola – Stresa) directly in trenitalia.com

The only downside of this pass, is I have to buy every individual ticket, right?

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 July 2016 at 8:58:50 #854000

Hi Cesar,

You are correct on all of that. Tickets from Domodossola to Stresa can be purchased from the websites listed here.

• The thread ‘Help on choosing rail passes for 4 days Muerren’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.