Help on hike (Lauterbrunnen-Murren-Schilthorn)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2018 at 2:04:04 #814604

*I have a fear of height. Let me know if any of this involves great heights.

The plan is for a hike in Mid May

Set off from Lauterbrunnen train station 8.30am and walk to the cable car that leads to Grutchalp.

Walk from Grutchalp to Wintergg station ( Question 1: How far is the distance, so I have an idea

how long to walk ?)

And take the tram to Murren.

Explore Murren town and have my early lunch here.

Take cable car up to Schilthorn (Question 2: How would i know if the weather is good to go up at Murren and advisable to get the ticket through the hotel ?) .

Then come down back to Murren.

From Murren walk to Gimmewald (Question 3: how long is this trail, some said 20minutes to 1 hour)

Question 4 : As i am walking alone and first time hiking, is this path always crowded with people on a weekday ?

Gimmewald to Stechelberg. ( Question 5: is there a tram down to Stechelberg instead of the steep cable car? Scared of height ! Or other alternatives)

From Stechelberg station, walk 20minutes to Trummelbach falls.

And going back Trummelbach falls, i shall take the bus or walk back ( 45 mins)

Question 6: Would this plan be accomplished in a day, that is getting back Lauterbrunnen before sun set ?

Question 7 Is there a better route to explore the beauitful scenery than this planned route,

I am seeking an easy to walk path that has nice mountain/alps scenery without fear of getting

lost but still within the same region.

Question 8 What kinda of walking attire should I be wearing in May ? Is there alot of mud ( boots ) or just

normal sneakers will do ? First time hiking !

Question 9 : Now this plan I will explore Launterbrunnen, Murren and Schilthorn. Should i still explore Wengen? Is Wengen’s view better than Murren?

Question 10 : I promised this is the last question , in case of emergency I am stuck in Murren trail and needed help. What is the SOS number ? or What is the usual SOP procedure ?

Thanks for all the help ! I know i have too many questions, some can only be answered while i am there too 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2018 at 13:41:15 #877661

Hi Brian,

• We have a hiking page on doing the whole trip from Grütschalp to Murren here. (it is just over 4km and Winteregg is about in the middle of the trip).
    • You can google Murren or Schilthorn weather (and webcams) to give you an idea of current weather before you set out. Like this: https://schilthorn.ch/ de/Infos/Live
    • I am not too familiar with Murren to Gimmelwald but from what I understand it isn’t too difficult (some descent involved) and is close to an hour.
    • In May it shouldn’t be too crowded – you’ll need to check out the trail conditions upon arrival to ensure the trail is in good condition.
    • No, you’ve got to take the cable car, hike down (steep could be hard on the knees) or backtrack to Grütschalp. It sounds like you are taking the cable car to Grütschalp though? The Murren cable car is worse for heights though.
    • Yes, I would think that isn’t an issue assuming the weather is good and you get an early start. If the day is getting late after your Schilthorn visit you could tram back to Grütschalp.
    • I would be prepared with some hiking shoes at least. I can’t say on the mud situation but I’d bet it would be there (we’ve had a lot of snow and the melt will be later this year I think).
    • Wengen's and Murren's views, I think, are great – a bit different of course but if you don’t have time for both I think that’s ok.
    • Here is a link for general emergency numbers in Switzerland – Swiss rescue is 1414
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2018 at 13:28:07 #877662

Thank you Lucas for the help 🙂

• The thread ‘Help on hike (Lauterbrunnen-Murren-Schilthorn)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.