Help on which pass is better

• vikicork
    Participant
    44 posts
    10 March 2014 at 8:03:13 #806246

My guided tour ends in early July 3rd in Lucerne and i can either leave tour at Lucerne or travel in tour bus to Zurich aiport early morning .

.We are a family of 3 with one kid age 15.

I want to travel from either Lucerne or Zurich airport to Wengen and stay for 2 nights and then stay one night in Zurich near the airport before flying back home .

Which pass would be better for me

The Bernese Oberland regional pass or the 3 day Jungfrau VIP pass ?

If i take the Bernese regional pass I will be able to travel from Lucerne to Wengen and back by train and then pay my way to Zurich airport from either Lucerne or Berne but i will only use 3 of the 4 days and i will have to purchase the Jungfrau excursion pass seperately .

If i take the VIP pass i will have to buy tickets from Lucerne to Interlaken and then back to Zurich

and im not sure if either pass covers cable cars to/from Wengen

I will only have time to go to Jungfrau and do some hikes

I cant figure out what my best option is ,Please advise

Thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 March 2014 at 13:03:06 #839548

Hello vikicork,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! You can best leave the tour in Lucerne and take a direct train to Interlaken Ost. This is the scenic Golden Pass route.

I recommend the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland. It includes the transfer from Lucerne to Wengen for free, whereas the Jungfrau VIP Pass is only valid for the last section from Interlaken Ost to Wengen. Since your timeframe is limited, I would get the pass that offers maximum flexibility: if the weather forces you to do other day trips than the Jungfraujoch, the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland covers a much larger area to travel in. See here for what’s covered, prices and all further details about the pass.

You do not need a pass for the Jungfrau excursion. Just buy tickets in the morning at the rail station in Wengen, once you’re sure that the weather is good enough to enjoy the view. You will get a 50% discount on those tickets with the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland.

We have listed some hiking suggestions that may be worth looking into.

On the way back to Zurich the pass indeed covers the trip to Lucerne or Bern for free. You need additional tickets for the remaining part of the trip. The airport hotels with free transfers to the airport can be found here.

vikicork
    Participant
    44 posts
    11 March 2014 at 11:24:18 #839549

Thanks a lot .very useful suggestions .

• The thread ‘Help on which pass is better’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.