Hiking circuit – Zermatt, Stellisee, Riffelsee

• Tamasin
    Participant
    1 post
    18 July 2022 at 9:14:44 #827801

Can this be done in a day, and will it be ridiculously expensive or hard to organize? Are some of these lifts closed during Summer? I see them on google maps, but not sure it’ll be possible!

-Circuit starting from Zermatt > up Patrullarve cable car to see Stellisee (lake) (might be able to summit Unterrothorn, Oberrothorn?) > along Gant Hohtalli cable car to Hohtalli > summit Stockhorn? Hike down to Gornergrat > Hike to Riffelsee > Take train back down to Zermatt.

Please excuse my ignorance – last minute planning!! Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6274 posts
    18 July 2022 at 20:31:46 #944437

Hi Tamasin,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

The picture is not very clear. This looks like a very ambitious hiking route and might not be possible to complete in one day. I might be wrong but these are probably ski routes and the lifts are only accessible in winter. I think using Google map to plan your hiking route can be quite misleading. I recommend using reliable sources such as Schweizmobil or Zermatt’s website for hiking information. You can also check out some hiking options from our pages here: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking (you can use the search options to narrow down your choice).

Let us know if you have more questions.

Regards,

Anna

Khsamuel
    Participant
    14 posts
    19 July 2022 at 13:52:09 #944438

Just saw a question about hiking Zermatt which arouse my interest to hike there, but I got only 1 full day there.

My plan is to take gondola up to Blauherd and hike to Stellisee to see the sun rise reflection on Matterhorn, go back to Blauherd to take the gondola back down to Sunnegga to hike the Leisee and back to Zermatt to go up to the Glacier Paradise.

Is this achievable in 1 day?

Are there ways to improve the route so that one more lake hike can be added.

Thanks for any advice.

khsamuel

Anna
    6274 posts
    19 July 2022 at 18:42:53 #944439

Hi Khsamuel,

Yes, this hike is possible. From the Blauherd station, it takes about 20 minutes to walk to Stellisee. And another 30 minutes to Grindjsee if you’d like to add another lake to your hike. The gondola ride from Blauherd to Sunnegga takes about 10 minutes, then it’s just a short walk to Leisee. My personal suggestion would be to start your hike early and complete it by lunch time. Then you can spend the other half of your day at Matterhorn Glacier Paradise.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Khsamuel
    Participant
    14 posts
    21 July 2022 at 14:38:39 #944440

Thank you Anna.

I am sure the day will be well spent. How much is the total costs if I have a STP?

khsamuel

Anna
    6274 posts
    22 July 2022 at 4:05:22 #944441

HI Khsamuel,

Based on your plans, you would need a return ticket to Blauherd (CHF58.50 which includes Sunnegga) and a return ticket to Matterhorn Glacier Paradise (CHF120). With the Swiss Travel Pass, these tickets are discounted (you pay half-price only).

You can find information about tickets here:

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Hiking circuit – Zermatt, Stellisee, Riffelsee’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.