3 day hut-to-hut hike Bernese Oberland or Engadine

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2019 at 16:15:19 #822300

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this. My 13 year old son and I arrive in Zurich June 24 and would like to do a 3 day hut-to-hut walk. We leave Zurich on July 2, but need to squeeze 3 days for family in Berlin. I’d love help making the most of our trip in Switzerland. I’d like to take one of the beautiful train rides (Glacier or Bernina?). I’ve been told Lucerne and Lugano are incredible. I will have already been in Vevey for 3 days for work.

I hear so much about the Lauterbrunnen Valley being unsurpassable (hikes from Gimmewald, Faulhorn hut, the Ochinsee to name a few) but I’m concerned they may be too crowded. I’ve noticed that Faulhorn and nearby huts are fully booked (or just don’t open) until Friday June 28.

Would you recommend going to the Engadine area, and possibly the Swiss National Park, instead?

I dogeared the hut-to-hut book, but because it’s just around the corner, I don’t have time to do much research myself on the maps, I’m hoping to get an experienced recommendation on a 3 day hike itinerary.

I was planning to hike first but would it make sense to zip to Berlin first and hike the second part of the trip? THANK YOU!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    17 June 2019 at 8:04:35 #915319

Hi Jblinam, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Well, it seems you pretty much know what you want so I’m not trying to change your mind, although for my own taste you are too ambitious (one week in Switzerland, less three days in Berlin…).

So just a few remarks:

1. Lucerne and Lugano are very interesting towns, but not really incredible, many other Swiss cities are equally attractive.

2. The Lauterbrunnen valley, similarly, is attractive, but so are many other valleys. The Faulhorn is in the Grindelwald Valley, not the Lauterbrunnen one.

3. Note that the Glacier Express is a once-a-day train, but there are similar trains, just not called Glacier Express, that run on the same line about once an hour, no reservation needed.

4. Yes, the Swiss National Park would be less crowded than the other areas you mention. Caution, in the Park it is strictly forbidden to hike outside permitted trails. You could combine that with a ride on the Glacier Express.

5. You have been to Vevey, but it so happens that during your stay there will be in Vevey an event that takes place only once every 25 years: the Fête des Vignerons.

If you don’t have time to research on the maps, I think you should think it over again. Your son might also like boat rides, train trips, the Transport Museum in Lucerne. Good maps to plan your hikes are here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2019 at 13:03:21 #915320

Jblinam– To provide recommendations on hikes, we’ll need to know your level of conditioning and appetite for distance and elevation change in a day’s hike.

Also, when you say “hut”, I assume you aren’t meaning to limit it to true mountain huts (e.g., Swiss Alpine Club huts), which are usually at higher elevations, involve sleeping in a large common dorm-style room and may not have showers. Faulhorn, for instance, is a Berghotel, which has a higher level of amenities than a true SAC hut. Unless you anticipate technical climbing with your son, and can wait until later in July, I expect you’ll not be staying in huts. Just a note about usage of terminology, to be clear.

BTW, it looks like Faulhorn BH does not reopen for the season until June 29. If you intend to get into higher elevation, it will be safer to do Berlin first and the Swiss hike after, in early July.

NTL

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2019 at 6:29:08 #915321

Thanks so much.

I was able to move my Berlin trip to the start, now I have 7 days to be in Switzerland, so excited!

Snowman, I’d love to hear what other valleys you recommend! And thanks for the tip on the Fete. Unfortunately, it looks like it’s actually in July!

I’ll narrow down my questions:

1. Could you help me decide between staying in Wengen and Meiringen? Would like to do hikes all around the Jungfrau. Both have been recommended.

2. If I land in Zurich early on Wednesday the 26, could you suggest where we could meander for 3 days, on the way to the Jungrau for June 28 or 29 when the huts and bergs are open. Possibly go down through the eastern side of Switzerland and then take the train over from Engadine? Or spend time closer to Ticcino? I’d love to see a wide variety of Switzerland’s beauty.

3. Nevertoolate, you asked about my fitness. I am moderately fit and I’m thinking I can take it slow if parts are really steep. I cannot do technical climbing. Looking for a hike to a hut or berg for my 13 year old son and me. A SAC is okay (only one night in the mountains, I’m fine not showering and will bring ear plugs for snorers 🙂 or a berg, Would love to avoid tons of people, see wildflowers, animals, and sweeping views (I think I captured all the possibilities;). I don’t have a sense of what elevation I could conquer, but I live in the hills of SF and walk a lot! could do a 3-4 hr hike on the way in or on the way out, but not steep for 4 hours.

4. Lastly (for now– you all are such great help!) my son loves mountain biking– could you recommend any particular mountain biking location where we can take our bikes up the lift and bike down? We could do this in the Jungfrau or on our way down from Zurich.

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2019 at 18:45:31 #915322

Jblinam– If you are still looking for a 3 day linear hike that includes staying in mountain-style lodging and has opportunities for mountain biking and other things likely to be of interest to a 13 year old, given your distance/climbing preferences, I’d recommend the following. For the most part, it follows the Via Alpina Green route:

1. Day 1– Get to First, above Grindelwald, probably using the lift. There are lots of diversions there for your son. Then, you may want to do a short out and back hike to Bachsee (or beyond), before hiking from First down towards Meiringen and staying at Schwarzwaldalp Hotel.

2. Day 2– In the morning, take an early bus from S’waldalp down to Meiringen. From Meiringen (after maybe grabbing a few of their famous meringue cookies in a bakery), your goal for the day is Engstlenalp, and the Hotel there. You can shave off some distance by taking the lift to Plan Platten, and then hike a fine ridge trail to the Hotel. The Hotel there is a classic Berghotel. Old and atmospheric. You can stay either in the main part of the hotel, with separate room, or opt for the dorm facility adjacent to the main hotel. The dorm room, however, has no shower privileges.

3. Day 3– Hike from Engstlenalp over the pass to Trubsee and stay in the Berghotel Trubsee. Time and weather permitting, you can summit the peak–Titlis (with or without lift assist), and there are mountain biking trails from the hotel to the valley for the next morning. This hotel is new and very comfortable, situated with 360 degree views.

4. Next morning, take the lift down to Engelberg, or ride MBs down.

If you have time and are keen, you could stay in Wengen before-hand and do a day hike in that vicinity and then make your way via train to Grindelwald, to begin the above sequence.

NTL

Annika
    7125 posts
    21 June 2019 at 10:59:35 #915323

Hi Jblinam, please find some additional answers below.

1.That depends on your (hiking) plans. Many would recommend Wengen (myswissalps.com/wengen) for its stunning views, and if you focus on the Jungfrau region it’s a more obvious choice than Meiringen.

2. Between Zurich and the Jungfrau region, Lucerne (myswissalps.com/lucern e) is well worth a visit. You could combine this with a day trip south to Lugano (myswissalps.com/lugano) using the Gotthard Panorama Express route (myswissalps.com/gottha rdpanoramaexpress). Of course there are many more options and it’s hard to choose. You’d best study the towns and regions listed at myswissalps.com/wheret ogo and try to find out what’s on top of your wish list ;-).

4. I do know that there are several mountain bike options around Grindelwald, including a shuttle bus service. You’ll find some more tips here and on our page about sports and adventure activities: myswissalps.com/activi ties/sports.

• The thread ‘3 day hut-to-hut hike Bernese Oberland or Engadine’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.