Swiss Museum of Transport
This interactive museum in Lucerne has a massive selection of cars, trains and planes - and much more.
The forum allows you to post your questions and discuss your plans.
What is the Swiss Museum of Transport?
This museum in Lucerne, called 'Verkehrshaus der Schweiz' in German, is much more than just a museum explaining about modes of transport. Children will love this interactive experience, and so will adults. You can easily spend a full day on all activities and exhibitions. Here's a selection of what to expect:
- Train enthusiasts will love the model railways, actual steam locomotives, many carriages and a steam powered snow-blower built in 1896.
- In the car hall, you'll see model cars and actual historic cars, race cars, motorbikes and more. There's a crash test for visitors to experience, and an interactive car theatre.
- Learn about the history of navigation and in the navigation section.
- The history of Swiss tourism is explained.
- Several aerial cableways are displayed.
- Enjoy a plane simulator or helicopter simulator and see real airplanes in the aviation section.
- The space section explores traveling to Mars, to the moon and more.
- The Arena is a large outdoor area, featuring planes, a large boating pool, play buses, scooters and karts.
- The Media World explains about modern communication.
- The i-factory is an interactive permanent exhibition about computer science and what it means for today's society.
- There are temporary exhibitions, for example about logistics around the globe or about the Gotthard train tunnel.
- You can watch movies about nature and science in the film theatre with its IMAX screen. An additional entry fee applies.
- The planetarium shows movies about the universe in a large dome. An additional entry fee applies.
- The Swiss Chocolate Adventure allows you to travel in carriages across a world of chocolate, while learning about how chocolate is being made. An additional entry fee applies.
- You can have a bite in the brasserie or in the restaurant.