What's included in the Tell-Pass Summer?
- You'll get unlimited traveling for 2, 3, 4, 5, or 10 consecutive days.
- You can make unlimited trips by train, bus, boat, and into the mountains (cable cars, funiculars, et cetera).
- There are discounts on attractions and museums: see the map.
- Children travel along at a low fixed price, or for free.
The 2023 price of the Tell-Pass Summer
|Duration||Price||More information (discounts, prices in EUR/GBP/USD)|
|2 days||CHF 190||switzerlandtravelcentre.com|
|3 days||CHF 220||switzerlandtravelcentre.com|
|4 days||CHF 240||switzerlandtravelcentre.com|
|5 days||CHF 250||switzerlandtravelcentre.com|
|10 days||CHF 320||switzerlandtravelcentre.com|
- There's a fixed price of CHF 30 for Tell-Passes for children from 6 up to and including 15. They have to travel along with an adult. The adult does not need to be a relative of the child.
- The Junior Travelcard is also valid, as well as the Children’s Co-travelcard. If you have one of those, you don't need the child version of the pass.
- Children up to 5 travel along for free. They don't need a pass.
- There are no special fares for seniors.
Places to buy the Tell-Pass Summer
Offered by HappyRail: www.happyrail.com
- Excellent prices in all currencies. No additional fees.
- Extra Support: if you buy here, MySwissAlps can also assist if you have questions about your order.
- Experienced team of train travel experts
Offered by Official SBB shop: switzerlandtravelcentre.com
- Official webshop of the Swiss Federal Railways (SBB), operated by Switzerland Travel Centre (STC)
- Instant delivery through e-mail in 5 minutes
- Free cancellation until 1 day before travel, if you choose the FLEX OPTION. No questions asked.
- Extra Support: MySwissAlps can answer most questions regarding your order as well.
Deals on the Tell-Pass Summer
Scenic train rides with the Tell-Pass Summer
Montreux to Interlaken (train): no discount. Seat reservations and surcharge for Prestige class in GoldenPass Express: no discount.
Pfäffikon to St. Gallen: no discount.
Tell-Pass Summer mountain trips
Hammetschwand lift: no discount.
Other things to do with your Tell-Pass Summer
|Boat Lake Lucerne||Free:|
|Swiss Museum of Transport||Discount 20%:|
The Tell-Pass validity map
The Tell-Pass Summer allows traveling in the Central Switzerland region. That's roughly the area between Lucerne, Interlaken, Andermatt, and Zug. Download the map for all details.
How the map works
- Solid lines allow free traveling. Blue lines are boats, the other lines are trains, buses, or mountain transport.
- Traveling with the Tell-Pass Summer applies to all trains that operate on the indicated lines and that are listed in the timetable. The train type (InterCity, local, panoramic) and the operating company do not matter. Panoramic trains such as the GoldenPass are thus included.
- The map document also includes a list of discounted attractions.
How does the Tell-Pass Summer work?
The pass allows you to travel as much as you like, without the need to buy tickets for each trip. Just board with your pass and enjoy the ride. You’ll keep your pass on your phone.
How to start using your Tell-Pass Summer
The pass is ready to use once you’ve received it. Simply keep it on your phone.
- You will receive a pdf file. This file has a QR code that train staff can scan from your smartphone.
- Optionally, you can print backup copies of the pass on A4 or letter-sized paper.
- The pass is ready to use if it includes all information like the start date, passenger name, and birth date. Your name may be truncated if it’s too long to fit on the pass, but that’s no problem.
Tell-Pass Summer travel days
The travel days are consecutive. If you don’t travel on such a day, it still counts as such, so you’ll lose it.
You do not need seat reservations for 99% of all trains and buses in Switzerland. You can just board with your Tell-Pass Summer. If you need or want seat reservations, you have to arrange for them separately. Seat reservations are not included in the pass.
On board the train, bus, or boat
Once you’re on board, you will need to present your Tell-Pass Summer to ticket controllers upon request. The controller may want to check your passport as well, to make sure you’re the owner of the presented pass.
Ticket checks for mountain transport are mostly done before you board.
Basically, you do not need tickets, and you can just board any bus, train, et cetera.
There are many cable cars that also allow free traveling. If you can’t scan your Tell-Pass to enter the cableway or funicular, show your Tell-Pass to the personnel and ask for a free ticket to open the turnstiles.
Our personal tips: what not to miss if you have a Tell-Pass Summer
- Many famous mountain trips are included for free. If weather is clear, you can’t go wrong with Pilatus, Rigi, Stanserhorn, and Titlis.
- A boat trip on Lake Lucerne is a must for us, and it’s free.
- The funicular up to Stoos is a short but exciting ride. It’s also free of charge.
FAQ about the Tell-Pass Summer
How do I know if the Tell-Pass Summer is my best option?
If you prefer ticketless travel, and you’re planning to explore Central Switzerland only (see the map), then this pass is likely a good idea for you.
It’s also a good option if you like flexibility and haven’t planned everything in advance.
Does the Tell-Pass Summer offer discounts apart from travel?
Yes, several museums and other activities are discounted. These are called “Bonus partners”. Please download the map for an overview.
Do I need a SwissPass account for my Tell-Pass Summer?
You don’t have to add your Tell-Pass to a SwissPass account or any other account. This is often not even possible.
What’s the difference between Tell-Pass Summer and Tell-Pass Winter?
The Tell-Pass Winter is cheaper because not all mountains are accessible in wintertime. Both passes cover the same region though.
Other websites of interest
- shop.switzerlandtravelcentre.com: official SBB tourist webshop