Hiking Lavaux vineyards in early June

• Stephanielau
    Participant
    18 posts
    24 February 2022 at 2:30:59 #826561

We’d like to spend a day walking through the vineyards/ Terraces Lavaux in early June. We will take the train from Lausanne and thinking of starting our walk in St.Saphorin and ending in Lutry. Have read many threads and countless websites but having a very hard time finding detailed information on the following:

Can we wander from village to village and visit wine cellars/salles de dégustations without a reservation? I know most places prefer reservation but wondering if we would find that some allow drop-in?

How can I find out when wine cellars and cafés/restaurants are open or closed? I know many places, especially in villages, are closed on Sundays. So should we do this walk during the week?

Any specific recommendations for wine tasting and for lunch that are not very touristy? (Not interested in touristy places like Vinorama).

Thank you for any details/recommendations you can provide!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2022 at 10:30:27 #938990

Hi Stephanielau,

Lavaux is so wonderful, I hope you’ll have clear weather so you can see the panorama view 🙂

You can wander from village to village, we have a recommended route description here: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/lutry-epesses. Because Covid wine cellars have modified quite a lot of their opening times, I would recommend searching on the internet and contacting them in advance. I can recommend this cellar, one of the oldest winemakers in the region: closdelarepublique.ch/ And I’ve also heard great things about this restaurant: http://www.aubergeduvigneron.ch/ I do not think that drop-in would be good, I’ve tried once, I could barely find a place being open.

You can read about the Lavaux Express and the Wine Train here: http://www.myswissalps.com/activities/culinary/dineonthemove (under “Special culinary rides, trains and wagons”). (But maybe you’ll find this one also a bit touristy, I am not sure).

My fav route is: from Lausanne to Vevey by boat. (You can already have a glass of wine on the boat while you are admiring the view and the vineyards.) From Vevey take the train to the Lavaux area (I prefer Chexbres). Walk in and around the Lavaux vineyard. Take a train back to Lausanne.

One more thing. There is little shadow during the walk, so make sure to bring some sun protection in case it is sunny.

Ildiko

Stephanielau
    Participant
    18 posts
    24 February 2022 at 23:17:15 #938991

Thank you Ildiko, appreciate all of your recommendations! Clos de la République cellars looks wonderful, exactly what I had in mind. And I like your suggestion for the boat/train combination as we wanted to take the boat at some point anyway. Will have to look at train and boat schedules as we get closer.

I have taken the Lavaux Express before, with my parents, and it was fine to do once but we prefer to walk and make stops on our own. Just having a hard time figuring out in advance, without being there, where we want to stop. I know we should make advance reservations but hard to determine just be searching randomly online. Hoping others will comment on the thread with additional recommendations for cellars, like the one you provided.

I lived in Lausanne from age 6-12 so I’m somewhat familiar with the area, however a bit out of touch with detailed information, including for wine tasting ;-).

Best, Stephanie

• The thread ‘Hiking Lavaux vineyards in early June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.