Hiking options during early June

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2014 at 15:06:31 #806390

Hello,

I have been posting similar question on the Trip Advisor forum, but I decided to try my luck here, as I would like to get as many comments as possible. We will be reaching Grindelwald in a week or so and we have a total of 3.5 days to spend on the Jungfrau region. I did some research and along with some previous comments on TripAdvisor created a list of the more common walks people do. To my understand the higher elevation walks are going to be closed (Schynige Platte to First or Klien Schediegg to Männlichen), so that leaves me with the lower elevation walks. I also need to take in mind that it’s probably going to rain, as according to the weather forecast, it has been raining for the last days as it is only the early spring afterall. I tried to pick hikes that will work on any weather, but it’s hard to tell, so feel free to correct me if any of those walks are not worth it in a very cloudy/rainy day.

1. Kleine Scheidegg – Wengernalp – Wengen – Taking the Gondola to
    Mannlichen for the view (to-do on the way back from Top of Europe – 1
    Day total)

2. Lauterbrunnen – Stechleberg (All waterfalls) – Lift to Gimmelwald and walk to Grütschalp (1 Day Total)

3. Gondola from Grindlewald to First -> Walk to Grosse Scheidegg (Less then Half a Day)

4. Schynige Platte – Oberberghorn – Schynige Platte (Half a Day)

5. First – Bachalpsee – First (Half Day)

Those are the walks I’m aware of, but I would love to hear from you if I missed an amazing, must-do walk. Most of them strike quite easy, but to my understanding, the more challenging walk require higher elevation which is not possible. I also feel that in case of a rain, I will have to skip Top of Europe, which make me worry I don’t have enough things to do. I verified that the walks from First have high chances to be open with the Grindlewald information Center, but again – in case of a storm, I have 2-3 less walks to do.

Thank you! 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    28 May 2014 at 7:28:17 #840052

Hi Tygan,

Thanks for posting here. Apart from this recent discussion about hiking in June, I suggest to check with the tourist office before you are going to do any hikes above 2000 m or so. Actually, most of the hikes you selected are not lower altitude hikes. They are all above 2000 m, except for Lauterbrunnen – Stechelberg and on to Grütschalp, and the second section of Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen. The first section could be closed as there is still snow at Kleine Scheidegg, but they may have cleared the wide trail to Wengen once you are there.

There are plenty of trails that can be used, even in June. Grosse Scheidegg to Meiringen is probably possible, as well as Sulwald to Grütschalp. If you’re lucky, Niederhorn to Waldegg is open, but do check before you go as you would not want to walk there in snow. See here for further suggestions, including the altitude of each trail.

I hope this helps you out. Please let us know how things worked out for you! Have a great time!

lbiggs020260
    Participant
    26 posts
    29 May 2014 at 8:57:04 #840053

Hi

i am in the area at the moment and all except 4 are definitely open at the moment.

the railway to Schynigge Platte only opens today so not sure about that one yet.

a couple of days ago we walked from Alpiglen to Mannlichen through lots of snow and everything was closed at the top

hope that helps

Arno
    15482 posts
    29 May 2014 at 9:09:19 #840054

Thanks for that first hand information lbiggs020260! This topic also discusses this matter.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2014 at 12:29:20 #840055

Thank you for the real-time information lbiggs020260! It’s good to hear all of those are open. Too bad Mannlichen has a lot of snow still, I heard the walk fromKleine Scheidegg to there is amazing.

Also, thank you Arno for the other walking options. I wrote those down in case any of the above won’t be possible. I sure hope will be able to do some Mountain walks, and I mostly prefer those over “Bush” walking and I heard that what this area is known about.

I’m not sure how much sun we going to have, but can you help me prioritize the walks based on Weather? for example, I know that I should head Top of Europe on a clear day, and can do the Falls walk on a rainy day. Which of the above walks should I priorities in a good day and which on a rainy/cloudy?

Arno
    15482 posts
    31 May 2014 at 7:28:07 #840056

Hi Tygan,

High altitude trails with wide views are best saved for sunny clear days. That includes the Niederhorn hike as well. With light rain one can still walk in the valleys, but mountain trails, even the lower ones could be slippery and quite tricky. Carefully check the forecasts. It can be cloudy around the Jungfrau while it is sunny around the lakes, so then you just go there.

• The thread ‘Hiking options during early June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.