Hiking trails to get a closer view of Matterhorn

Hiking trails to get a closer view of Matterhorn

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
gkloth
gkloth
4 posts
Sep 24, 2017 - 3:10 PM

Hi! I need some tips on the accessible easy/moderate hiking trails from Zermatt to get up close to Matterhorn on dates Oct. 28-31, 2017. I have read something about 5-Lakes Trail but it states it's only until oct. 15. Are there any options to get to one of the lakes close to Matterhorn offering a panoramic view of Matterhorn? Any other suggestions to explore Matterhorn by railway/gondola ride combined with easy/moderate hiking (max. 5 hours duration)on the said dates? And what about weather issues in late Oct.? How is it usually there at ths time?We want as a family of 3 with a 9-year old child to make our first ever trip to Zermatt to have a spectacular Matterhorn experience not just with the mountain rides but also combined with hiking but until now, I don't have any idea yet how to make both possible on these dates oct. 28-31, 2017. I would appreciate any help from you. Thanks in advance!

Lucas
Lucas
5569 posts
expert &
Sep 24, 2017 - 3:22 PM in reply to gkloth

Hi gkloth,

Unfortunately late October is not a good time to try hiking up in the mountains. You tend to be a little early for snowshoeing and too late for decent weather for most hiking trails.

You can head up Gornergrat and/or Klein Matterhorn to get closer to the Matterhorn (and some light hikes are usually possible).

Longer hikes will be much trickier. We have a list of popular hikes in the Zermatt area listed here. Also, the Zermatt website has a good hiking trail list here that is interactive and you can narrow the search results for what you are looking for.

Lucas

gkloth
gkloth
4 posts
Sep 24, 2017 - 4:00 PM in reply to Lucas

Thanks a lot Lucas! This would be helpful in finalizing the itinerary of our short trip to Zermatt.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018