Hiking trails to get a closer view of Matterhorn

• gkloth
    Participant
    4 posts
    24 September 2017 at 15:10:12 #813346

Hi! I need some tips on the accessible easy/moderate hiking trails from Zermatt to get up close to Matterhorn on dates Oct. 28-31, 2017. I have read something about 5-Lakes Trail but it states it’s only until oct. 15. Are there any options to get to one of the lakes close to Matterhorn offering a panoramic view of Matterhorn? Any other suggestions to explore Matterhorn by railway/gondola ride combined with easy/moderate hiking (max. 5 hours duration)on the said dates? And what about weather issues in late Oct.? How is it usually there at ths time?We want as a family of 3 with a 9-year old child to make our first ever trip to Zermatt to have a spectacular Matterhorn experience not just with the mountain rides but also combined with hiking but until now, I don’t have any idea yet how to make both possible on these dates oct. 28-31, 2017. I would appreciate any help from you. Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2017 at 15:22:11 #870135

Hi gkloth,

Unfortunately late October is not a good time to try hiking up in the mountains. You tend to be a little early for snowshoeing and too late for decent weather for most hiking trails.

You can head up Gornergrat and/or Klein Matterhorn to get closer to the Matterhorn (and some light hikes are usually possible).

Longer hikes will be much trickier. We have a list of popular hikes in the Zermatt area listed here. Also, the Zermatt website has a good hiking trail list here that is interactive and you can narrow the search results for what you are looking for.

Lucas

gkloth
    Participant
    4 posts
    24 September 2017 at 16:00:23 #870136

Thanks a lot Lucas! This would be helpful in finalizing the itinerary of our short trip to Zermatt.

• The thread ‘Hiking trails to get a closer view of Matterhorn’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.