Horseback riding in the Swiss Alps late May

• Walt
    Participant
    5 posts
    31 March 2019 at 11:44:06 #820692

My family and I are travelling to Switzerland at the end of May/beginning of June. My daughter wants to go horseback riding in the Alps. A two-three hour trail ride is what she is looking for. I was wondering if anyone knows of some beautiful scenery filled places to go. Doesn’t really matter which part, but if I could find a spot in the Jura, that would be option 1.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    31 March 2019 at 12:49:40 #907984

Hello Walt and welcome to MySwissAlps,

There are many possibilities in the Swiss Jura. The one I found with information in English is here: http://www.juratourisme.ch/en /special-offers/horseriding-in-the-franches-montagnes.3242.html

The Jura range, of course, is not in the Alps. It runs along the France-Switzerland border, from Geneva to Basel. The Franches-Mountagnes area of the Jura is horse country.

Walt
    Participant
    5 posts
    2 April 2019 at 11:28:48 #907985

Thank you for the information, although it does look like a beautiful place, it sounds like we would have to spend the night. And I was hoping for a trail ride longer than 1 hour. My Uncle lives near Basel so I was looking for someplace not too far. My daughter found a place near Pontrensina and the scenery looks beautiful, but I was hoping for something a little bit closer and with a longer trail ride. Would you have any other suggestions?

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    2 April 2019 at 14:36:45 #907986

< Would you have any other suggestions? >

Yes, the obvious one: ask your Uncle! There are plenty of other places in Les Franches Montagnes, including riding along trails, guided or not. The one I mentioned to you is the site I found in English. No doubt other firms can speak English (if you need it!).

If your Uncle can’t help, I suggest first you write to Juratourisme (the link in my previous mail) and tell them what you would ideally need. I’m sure they can help. Next, google <Randonnées equestres Jura suisse>. No need to go to Pontresina if you want to be near Basel which is near the Franches-Montagnes.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 April 2019 at 17:35:40 #907987

Hi Walt-

Saignelegier is really not all that far from Basel.. One hour and 40 minutes by train; twice per hour except at lunch time, where there is a one hour gap between trains. And, it is a major center of “horse country” for Switzerland. Annual major meeting days, etc. Of course, as noted, it is not the Alps. It is the Jura mountains.

Read down this page:

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/saignelegier-franches-montagnes-freiberge.html

If that first offer does not work for you, because of the overnight, follow the other leads from Snowman. There has got to be something available there.

However, you should keep in mind that in the Swiss Alps, depending on elevation, late May will likely have snow covered trails at high altitudes, and muddy ones at low altitudes. Altitude is critical. In general, the best Alpine scenery….say above 2000 meters… only really gets free for hiking (etc.) sometime in June.

Typically, this hiking trail at about 2200 to 2000 meters opens on about June 15th:

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

I’ve not seen horses on it. Some parts are pretty narrow

Technically, you could still be in the Alps if you were be on the valley floor at Lauterbrunnen or Stechelberg, which is at about 800 meters and would almost surely be free of snow even in early May.

But, as you can see from the attached picture taken from Wengen, you wold not be up among the Alpine peaks. Unless there is unusually warm weather…and it has been warm…. the truly Alpine experience is unlikely to be available in late May and early June. And, a lot of places take there “between seasons” break in late April and May, reopening in early June. So, you should keep that in mind in your planning.

At the elevation of Basel (235 meters) or Luzern ( 435 meters) , late May/early June is definitely Spring.

Lauterbrunnen is at about 800 meters; Saignelegier is at about 980 meters.

Your relative in Basel can help you with information about higher elevations.

I’m curious – was the facility in Pontresina available on your dates?

Slowpoke

Walt
    Participant
    5 posts
    6 April 2019 at 11:44:08 #907988

Thank you for your tips. I did email jura tourisme and found a place that looked interesting and emailed them and am just waiting to hear back. And in response to Slowpoke’s question, yes, Pontresina is available for the end of May, but we are now looking more at the Jura, especially knowing that it is horse country, and it still looks pretty in that area too.

• The thread ‘Horseback riding in the Swiss Alps late May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.