How to travel Gallarate-Lugano-Visp-Zermatt?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2019 at 7:46:28 #821110

My husband and I want to travel from Lugano on 11July to Visp, then connecting to Zermatt. We will not be driving so train is the logical option but I have found it to be extremely difficult unless we leave Lugano at 8am as there is only one train a day from Gallerate. An alternative was to go via Zurich but this seems extreme. Can you advise what is our best option – is there a simple rail option or even a coach or minibus to Visp? Please help.

• rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 April 2019 at 8:12:44 #909942

Hello RenentheAlps and Welcome to MYSwissAlps

Is there some reason you want to go to Lugano? You can get a EuroCity from Gallarate to the Swiss border at Domodossola (takes 45 minutes) and then on to Visp.

Use the SBB Timetable (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) to plan your travel. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on this page – http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

Also see http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy.

If you are in fact departing from Lugano then you can go to Locarno and take the Centovalli Express to Domodossola.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2019 at 3:12:24 #909943

Thanks so much for your advice. Yes, we will staying in Lugano before moving on to Vevey and wanted to do the Zermatt side trip on the way. I will check out Locarno and the Centovalli express to Domodossola and hopefully find the best times for us. Cheers.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2019 at 0:22:59 #909944

Quickest way would be Lugano – Milano Centrale; Milano Centrale – Visp; Visp – Zermatt

My hunch is that Gallarate is a red herring in this context

• The thread ‘How to travel Gallarate-Lugano-Visp-Zermatt?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11190 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.