Jun 17, 2016 - 5:21 PM
We are planing to travel to Switzerland the last week of June, but the flight from USA will be on a stand by basis. I am wondering how difficult hotel reservations are to come by if we play it a little loose. Generally we like to make a cancel-able reservation for the first and last night "in country" and then see how our rough travel plans go....this leaves us with plenty of opportunity to let travel unfold in a way that takes advantage of weather or activities that we may not have considered. It also means we don't spend a fortune on hotels that we don't stay in if we don't get on the flight.
Our current plan is to purchase an 8-day swiss pass once we've actually made it to ZRH. Our highest priority is to get to Jungfraujoch on a day that is nice enough to take advantage of the time/$ spent to get there....but I dont think we would devote more than 3 days to being in the area hoping for weather to clear if gloomy weather should settle in. Our thought is to do this part of the trip first and stay in Lauterbrunnen or Muerren. Could I just book the first night in advance and be able to stay successive nights, even if we have to move to a different hotel, if desired or necessary?
I think we will also try to enjoy Lake Lucerne/Rigi/Vitznau for 3-4 days, but if things really look gloomy still, we might just bail out to Lake Maggiore/Ascona area. Does anyone have a guess as to what last minute availabilty might be like in those towns?
The other concern I have has to do with altitude adaptation. If you all think its wiser, I would put the Rigi portion first and then Jungfrau afterward with the notion that if meteorologic conditions or last minute hotels are unavailable (full or too expensive) we might have to save that for a different trip. Thoughts?
We understand completely that the weather may be much better than forecasted this far out, but I would like to have an idea of how easy it might be to change plans if the "fun meter" runs out somewhere.
Last question (for now!). If the Swiss Pass is purchased at the ZRH airport, if we have the SBBapp on our iphones, can we put it on that instead of a paper ticket?
Thanks in advance for any insight!