How far ahead can I buy Swiss rail passes?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2017 at 17:30:01 #813136

Hello,

Am travelling to Switzerland in Aug 2018, I know it’s a long time away but it’s exciting. Am hoping to be able to buy rail cards at a discount sometime over the next few months. Was just wondering do they have an expiry time from when they are originally purchased before they have to be used – ie could I potentially buy in Dec this year and jeep until next August.

many thanks for advice in advance.

John

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2017 at 11:54:57 #869243

Hi John,

I think you mean the Swiss Travel Pass and not a Swiss Card (since discontinued). For the Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Transfer Ticket (for print at home option) you will be asked for a start date. So if your start date is fixed you can order it quite far ahead. Some retailers are selling for next year (like RailEurope) but not all are.

You can buy the Swiss Travel Pass online here and the Swiss Transfer Ticket here.

There certainly is no rush as the passes do not sell out.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2017 at 21:10:30 #869244

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your reply. it was the Swiss Half Price Card not the Swiss Pass I was asking about. Good to know you can buy for any time in the future though. Last time I bought, was 2015, I remember being advised that you could not but more than 3 months before when you wanted them to run from.

Thanks again,

John

• The thread ‘How far ahead can I buy Swiss rail passes?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.