How to make a fabulous journey from Geneve airport

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2016 at 11:48:19 #847735

I have used ‘tageskartes’ before. They were bought for me by a Swiss resident but I couldn’t find anything to suggest that they were not valid for my use and I had no problem using them.

I believe there are a limited number for each district (or canton or sub district – sorry I don’t know what the administrative areas are called) and they are only available for purchase to residents of that district. However once bought I think they are vaild throughout Switzerland.

I think they are much the cheapest way to travel, except for short trips, even than a pass or half fare card. BUT obviously not generally or easily available to tourists. They are also inflexible as you have to know you are going to travel a minimum amount on the day you book them for. I think we used them for the days we planned to travel enough (not short local trips) that would not already be covered by a Swiss Pass – as the number of days for the pass validity does not always correspond to the length of your stay. But it’s time consuming to plan and organise getting the tageskarte, even if you do have that option!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 January 2016 at 15:11:43 #847736

Hi Mike-

I am aware of a couple of kinds of “Tageskarten.”

One is something like what you described…they were specials for a single day, available in limited quantity. My Swiss friends would describe getting in line at their local station before it opened in the morning….in the days when their local station was still manned…and getting a couple for a day. They explored a lot of the country that way. You could not reserve them….they were “pop-ups.”

The other is as a supplement to a half-fare card. I don’t know if they are still available. When I used it, here is how it worked:

1.- Have a valid half-fare card.

2.- Buy a ticket with 6 individual validities for one day each of your choice for a year with no cost wherever you travel, similar to a Swiss Travel Pass. I don’t recall whether they worked for mountain railways such as the BOB or the line to the Jungfraujoch.

If I recall correctly, they cost about 80 or 90 CHF per day and would only be useful for lots of travel in a single day. Maybe someone in Geneva who did not have a GA might buy one if they had to go to St. Gall and return would benefit

3.- On the day that you chose to use a “day-card” you validated it in one of the orange machines on the train platform.

4.- When the conductor asked to see your ticket, you showed the validated day card + your Halb-tax.

Perhaps there are other variations, such as you describe.

I’m sure that whatever exists is described somewhere on the SBB website.

Slowpoke

Annika
    7124 posts
    21 January 2016 at 19:31:49 #847737

Hi all,

The 1-day travelpass described by Slowpoke is indeed available to holders of the Half-Fare travelcard (for Swiss residents) or the Swiss Half Fare Card (for tourists). It’s described at our Swiss Half Fare Card page. Currently the SBB offers no such 1-day passes for those who don’t have a half fare card. There are cheaper supersaver tickets, available to anyone, but they aren’t flexible as they’re only valid for specific trains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2016 at 20:40:02 #847738

The ticket to which I refer is indeed a day pass with limited availability for which a half fare card was not required, but which CAN be bought in advance. The number available in each area is published online where I think they can also be reserved. But as I said, they are only available to those resident in the area!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 January 2016 at 21:06:08 #847739

<<“The ticket to which I refer is indeed a day pass with limited availability for which a half fare card was not required, but which CAN be bought in advance. The number available in each area is published online where I think they can also be reserved. But as I said, they are only available to those resident in the area!”>>

Mike – thanks.

Good to know. I might be able to use that one day or another. I still have the old style Swiss resident’s Halb-tax with an address ( of a friend) in Kanton Obwalden.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2016 at 22:15:03 #847740

Google ‘Tageskarte Gemeinde’ Slowpoke.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 January 2016 at 23:21:36 #847741

<<“Google ‘Tageskarte Gemeinde’ Slowpoke.”>>

Will do.

Merci vielmals,

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 January 2016 at 23:38:45 #847742

Mike –

<<“Mit der “Tageskarte Gemeinde” der SBB kann während einem ganzen Tag zu günstigem Preis die Schweiz bereist werden. Die Tageskarte gilt für die 2. Klasse für Fahrten in Zügen, auf Schiffen und auf Postautolinien sowie auf Tram/Busstrecken in den meisten Schweizer Städten und Agglomerationen.

Es ist kein Halbtax-Abonnement erforderlich.“>>

Erstaunlich! Wunderbar

Mehr

<<“Für Fahrten mit den Eurocity-Zügen im grenzüberschreitenden Verkehrsind die Tagskarten nur beschränkt gültig. Informieren Sie sich hiezuvor Ihrer Reise direkt am Bahnschalter.ReservationsbestimmungenDer Preis für eine Tageskarte beträgt 40 Franken. Die Bestellung bzw. Reservation kann über das Reservationssystem oder telefonisch erfolgen (041 666 55 02 oder 041 666 55 04).Die Bestellungen werden in der Reihenfolge des Eingangs berücksichtigt. Der Zuteilungsentscheid ist endgültig.Diebestellten Tageskarten müssen ausschliesslich am Schalter derGemeindekanzlei abgeholt und bezahlt werden. Eine Zustellung per Postund gegen Rechnung ist ausgeschlossen.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2016 at 6:13:47 #847743

@mike : so with tageskarte pass we can still get 50% jungfraujoch fare? And also i can go anywhere in Switzerland by train for free?

But unfortunately i should find swiss residents first ya? Where this ticket can they buy?thanks.

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 January 2016 at 11:24:40 #847744

Hi triasina,

I really wouldn’t focus on this particular day pass. It’s issued by Swiss municipalities and basically intended for Swiss citizens who intend to do an occasional day trip. There are numerous passes for tourists which also provide 50% off the Jungfraujoch trip. That’s the recommended and easier way to go: myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses. A Swiss half Fare Card or Swiss Travel Pass makes sense in your case.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • The thread ‘How to make a fabulous journey from Geneve airport’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.