How to make the best use of Eurail pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2011 at 11:50:53 #804261

Hi everyone. I will go to Switzerland in early June but many things are still unsettled.:((
    I’ve bought a Eurail selective pass(7days) and I’m now wondering if I should buy a Swiss half card or other pass since many people said Eurail pass is not that useful in Switzerland.
    My plan is as follows:
    Day1:Pais–>Bern(half day)–> Grindelwald (use Eurail Pass)
    Day2: whole day in Grindelwald
    Day3: Interlaken(half day)–>Lugern, a small village, to sleep in farms
    Day4:Lugern
    Day5:Lugern–>Luzern–>Mt. Titlis–>Luzern
    Day6:stay in Luzern and set off to Germany at night (use Eurail pass)

I will also use the Eurail pass for another two times in other countries so that means I can have 3 more travelling days to use it in Switerland. How can I the best use of it? Can I use it on day 3?
    Actually, what is the total fare from Luzern to Mt Titlis? How can I go to Lugern from Interlaken and Luzern from Lugern?

Thank you a lot!!:-)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 May 2011 at 13:25:46 #832702

Hello mantung88,

It’s true that a Eurail Select Pass does not cover as much as a pass of the Swiss Travel System. You can best review the individual pass pages, such as the Eurail Select Pass page and the Swiss Half Fare Card page, to see what’s included. Then, you can calculate what’s most economical. If you do exactly the traveling you listed, I would say Eurail is fine. If you do more lifts and cog rail (e.g on day 2), a Swiss Half Fare Card would be interesting for you.

For traveling times and regular train fares, please check the timetable.

• The thread ‘How to make the best use of Eurail pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.