How to plan three days in Jungfraujoch/Interlaken

• SFar
    Participant
    2 posts
    9 July 2019 at 14:18:18 #822748

Hello!

I have been reading a lot of the forums on this site but am still confused on how to plan my trip. I plan to arrive in Zurich on Saturday morning and will take the train to Lucerne and have accommodations there as my Base. I have Sunday and Monday in Switzerland and plan to take an evening train to Paris on Monday night. I’d like to go to Jungfraujoch early Sunday morning but would also like to do the zip lining in Grindlewald. Is that something I can do on the way to Jungfraujoch and all in one day? I’m also interested in taking the ride up the mountain at Gelmerbahn. I think I can depart my hotel on Monday morning and explore Interlaken and catch a train to Basel to connect to Paris from there without returning to Lucerne. I plan to get the three day travel pass. Please offer any advice you may have. I’m not clear on how much time any of these activities would take.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sfar

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 July 2019 at 8:17:56 #917348

Hi Sfar,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! With your plans, you’d better stay in or near Interlaken, not in Lucerne. You can then do the zip lining and Jungfraujoch in one day, but that’s hardly possible from Lucerne. More details on the towns, area, Swiss Travel Pass and tickets to Paris can be found here:

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    10 July 2019 at 9:22:14 #917349

If you wish to visit Bernese Oberland it is better to stay in Interlaken / Lauterbrunnen / Wengen etc. This will help to cut down travel time

SFar
    Participant
    2 posts
    11 July 2019 at 13:32:06 #917350

Based on the feedback, I have adjusted my itinerary. I’ll arrive in Zurich Saturday morning and travel by train to Lucern in the afternoon with a 2 night stay here. Saturday afternoon/evening, I’ll explore Lucerne and some of the city sites. Sunday I’ll spend the day going to the top of Mt. Pilatus. Monday early morning, I’ll take the train to Interlaken and I have booked a 1 night stay here. This day I will go to Jungfrau and top of Europe and also want to do the zipline, First Fligher. I’ll return to Interlaken and spend the night here. On Tuesday, I’ll explore Interlaken and catch a train to Basel in the afternoon, with a connection to Paris. Does this sound better?

A few more questions:

1. If I get done with Mt. Pilatus early, what else can I do in the area?

2. What do I do with my luggage if it’s too early to check in? Are luggage lockers easily available in Interlaken and safe?

3. The Swiss Travel pass will get me to Basel as I do not see any trains going from Interlaken to Paris on Tuesday. How much time do I need between connections at Basel? Is it all one station? Don’t want to miss the train.

My apologies if I sound utterly confused! It’s because I am 🙂

Annika
    7124 posts
    11 July 2019 at 14:20:05 #917351

Hi SFar! Don’t worry, we’ll unravel your confusion :-).

1. If you don’t mind a long travel day, you could add another mountain top such as Rigi or Stanserhorn (both free with a Swiss Travel Pass: myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/validity). A boat ride over the lake would be great as well: . If weather isn’t great, the Swiss Museum of Transport is recommended. Please find all options at myswissalps.com/lucern e/activities and use the timetable at https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable to plan your trips.

2. Yes, luggage lockers are available in several sizes. They’re certainly safe: myswissalps.com/train/ practical/luggage.

3. Correct, you need an additional ticket Basel-Paris: myswissalps.com/traint ickets/france. All connections between Interlaken (or any other Swiss town) and Paris can be found in the timetable I linked to. This will show the time required to change trains in Basel as well. If you’re not comfortable with a short moment to board the train to Paris, just catch an earlier train to Basel.

• The thread ‘How to plan three days in Jungfraujoch/Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.