How to reserve seat online with Swiss Travel pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2018 at 5:01:23 #813981

After buy Swiss travel pass, how to make seat reservation for bernina Express and glacier express? Which website?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2018 at 8:18:55 #873906

Hi Hooiling, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

You can book your seat for the Bernina Express here and for the Glacier Express here.

If you would like to read more about the two scenic train rides, please visit:

Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2018 at 14:01:27 #873907

May I know Swiss travel pass same as the photo attached? Swiss travel pass – flex, youth. Youth flex. Confusing. As I purchase Swiss travel pass and make seat reservation through this website by clicking Swiss Travel pass flex, youth, youth flex to get discount . There is some charges for seat reservation, am I right?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2018 at 15:18:03 #873908

Yes, the same as the photo attached. Indeed, there are charges for seat reservation.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2018 at 14:24:55 #873909

Hi does the Swiss travel pass includes airport transfer?Do I still need to buy train ticket from airport to city?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2018 at 16:53:02 #873910

Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass covers most train routes in Switzerland (99%). It is just mostly mountain transport where you get discounts or no coverage. You can see a PDF map of what it covers here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 6:47:30 #873911

Hi Hooiling,

>> Hi does the Swiss travel pass includes airport transfer?

As has already been mentioned, it will cover your transport from the airport. However, using your Swiss Travel Pass just for a transfer from the airport to the city centre within the same city would be a waste of money. How far do you intend to travel on your day of arrival?

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 January 2018 at 6:55:20 #873912

Welcome back Alpenrose. I’ve missed you. 😇

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 8:50:37 #873913

>> Welcome back Alpenrose. I’ve missed you.

How kind, thank you 🙂

I was holidaying in Sydney for a week. I usually fly up there, but this time decided to take my chances on the 11.5 hour train trip each way, to see how it compared with my wonderful experiences on Swiss trains. I’m sad to say it did not measure up well on any criterion, even though I decided to travel first class 🙁

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 January 2018 at 9:52:25 #873914

That’s too bad about the Sydney train. Have you done the train Melbourne to Adelaide? Thinking of doing that.

Did you see the 3-hour SBS program on The Ghan? Mesmerising! There is also a 17-hour version. Both on catch-up.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2018 at 7:36:44 #873915

>> Have you done the train Melbourne to Adelaide?

Yes, I did it in 2013 (2nd class), en route to catch the Ghan to Darwin. It was very ordinary (but I would do it again).

They had some rather peculiar practices, such as making the 50 or so passengers boarding in Melbourne queue up along the platform to be ticked off on the manifest before boarding the train. With only one crew member doing that, you can imagine how long it took to board. Then, we were all herded into one carriage, with another carriage left completely empty – I suppose for others boarding en route.

The train bumps, squeaks, rattles and lurches its way to Adelaide in 10.5 hours, but they had the endearing practice of giving us a little spiel about many towns we went through – including the (apparently famous!) sun moths at Nhill 😀 They also pointed out features in the landscape, which was mostly brown grass plains or ploughed paddocks with scattered trees or scrub. We saw a few kangaroos.

The food is pre-packaged, so not great, and the bistro car quite uncomfortable to sit in, the seating consisting of high and low round stools with no back rest and small tables (more like glorified ledges) built into the wall, but I nevertheless spent a lot of the journey in there rather than in my seat, as you could sit face-on to the windows, and talk to other passengers more easily.

The train was too long for most platforms, so people getting off en route had to move to the front of the train to disembark. (The Melbourne-Sydney train only unlocks selected doors at most stations too, sometimes due to short platforms, other times just on a whim it seems!)

The Adelaide Terminal is not within cooee of the city centre, but there is a shuttle bus, or you can get a taxi into town.

The interior of the train was beige, which pretty much sums up the whole trip 😀 In comparison with Switzerland, the whole experience was like being in a time warp!

>> Did you see the 3-hour SBS program on The Ghan? Mesmerising!

Yes, I did! It was great to relive it, and so unusual that there was no commentary. It was very well edited to keep it interesting.

Alpenrose

PS We need an off-topic forum 😀

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 January 2018 at 7:02:34 #873916

I’ve gone right off Melbourne to Adelaide. 😖

cam223
    Participant
    97 posts
    29 January 2018 at 20:22:50 #873917

Just saw the program on the Ghan. It doesn’t sound like a comfortable trip. I love European trains since it’s so much fun to ride on them. In my area of the US, we don’t have a lot of trains–everyone drives. I love to just sit back and enjoy the scenery.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2018 at 0:41:57 #873918

shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en Can I make the reservation for glacier express through this website?

by the way, any discount for my parents above 60 years old for Swiss Travel pass?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 February 2018 at 1:47:24 #873919

Yes, shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en is the place I made my GEX reservations. You can make booking up to 90-days out from your travel date.

Sorry, no senior citizens discounts on Swiss Travel Pass.

• The thread ‘How to reserve seat online with Swiss Travel pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.