Amden & Grindelwald plans for 5 days in September

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 November 2017 at 22:06:16 #813667

I will be traveling to Switzerland on September 5 and leaving for Ireland on September 10, 2018. A fellow traveler suggested I definitely go to Amden and Grindelwald. I plan to go with another couple and travel by car. Which airport should i arrive in to begin my journey? Any thoughts on places to stay overnight?

Thanks,

Mark

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 November 2017 at 3:06:10 #871923

Hi Mark.

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

It’s nice to be reminded of Amden. We spent a very pleasant night there, on our way back to Zürich airport from Ftan, many years ago. We stayed at the Hotel Arvenbuel. On the weekend day that we were there, the owners had a midday concert with a local group of musicians as a free event for the townspeople, and we enjoyed the crowd and the music. We did have to pay for our beers. They also listened to us and arranged a special wine at dinner, after we told them some of the details of where we had been on our trip. All very hospitable.

That said, I would not go out of my way to visit Amden. We have never been back. We walked around a bit and took a trail for a few km. Nothing to remember. It was a cloudy day…..might have some nice views on a clear day.

Why did your friend recommend it?

Grindelwald is a well known destination in the Jungfrau Region, although I prefer Wengen.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Each of the villages in the Jungfrau region has special character of its own. What has attracted you or your friend specifically to Grindelwald? It is quite nice, and it is the most commercial of the 4 main villages near the Jungfrau.

http://www.myswissalps.com/gr indelwald

Zürich is the best airport for your needs. Where are you coming from? The only airports with major international connections are Zürich and Geneva. Geneva is a good deal further away, especially from Amden.

Both towns are within reach of Zürich airport by car. Stay in either one of them. Many options in Grindelwald. Hard to say about Amden. It is not a normal tourist destination. Where did your friend stay?

This map may help you. Use the search function for place names:

map.search.ch/Amden?poi=default&pos=714816 ,227648&z=4&poi_id=a50 96766ecf5d090-tel

By the way, once you are in Grindelwald, you will park your car. Any of the attractions around there are in car-free zones.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Amden & Grindelwald plans for 5 days in September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.