How to use the Swiss Travel Pass in Switzerland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2017 at 3:54:30 #811109

hello, i am from india. i have been to switzerland before and simply love the natural beauty & lovely people of this country. i am travelling again this summer and have booked myself (have taken swiss travel pass) as under after arriving at zurich:-

1. 1st halt at interlaken …plan to go to schilthorn, grindelwald, harder klum.

2. onwards stay at lugano…visit mt bre and lake lugano

3. final stop at zurich….from zurich travel around zurich & lucerne …mt rigi and pilatus

i have few questions

1. how do i organise myself wrt train journey?

– can i carry small bags in trains alongwith me.

– can anyone suggest which scenic train i can prebook as per my abov e mentioned schedule.

2. swiss travel map does not show from which place i can take boat trips that offer travel under swiss family pass.

….any suggestions how to make most out of my swiss family pass. i wish to make this holiday special for my mother and keep her comfortable during journey from train, bus and boat.

🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    18 March 2017 at 8:37:30 #860191

Hi sweetsol15, thanks for joining us!

Great that you get to visit Switzerland once more! Let’s take a look at your questions.

1. Absolutely, it’s no problem to carry along your luggage. This goes for both smaller as well as larger pieces. You’ll find storage space above or in between the seats, or at the end of each carriage.

As for scenic trains: your transfer from Interlaken to Lugano will be very scenic. First you can catch the Golden Pass train to Lucerne. There you can either board the official Gotthard Panorama Express or regional trains covering pretty much the same route. If you want to avoid the quick (but quite boring) tunnel connection between Arth-Goldau and Bellinzona and use the slower scenic trains crossing the mountains instead, enter “Göschenen” as a via-station in the timetable. This will be a long but rewarding travel day. You can use the same scenic route when traveling back from Lugano to Zurich.

2. The Swiss Travel Pass validity map does show white lines on the lakes where free traveling applies; you may have to zoom in to see such details. It’s also listed in text at the Swiss Travel pass validity page I just linked to. You can make free boat rides over Lake Thun, Lake Brienz, Lake Lucerne and Lake Zurich for example.

The Swiss Travel Pass can be bought from the resellers listed here. I recommend an easy online e-ticket purchase (no shipping or handling fees) from the official SBB tourist webshop at http://www.swissrailways.com/ en.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2017 at 9:28:59 #860192

thank you so much. is there any website for boats where i can get timetable and place of boarding and disembarking.

i already booked a swiss family pass from swiss travel system website.

thank you so much for ur guidance

🙂

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 March 2017 at 10:48:46 #860193

Hi sweetsol15,

The boat page Annika linked to allows you to click to the various boat trips. You’ll find links to timetables there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2017 at 13:02:25 #860194

Hi

Swiss Travel Pass can be used to travel from Paris to Basel? And Basel to Amsterdam?

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 March 2017 at 15:11:40 #860195

Hi Suzanne3030,

Those routes are not included because they’re not in Switzerland. What’s included can be found on the map Annika referred to in her first post.

Tickets from Paris and to Amsterdam can be found here:

• The thread ‘How to use the Swiss Travel Pass in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.