How to use the Swiss Travel Pass in Switzerland?

How to use the Swiss Travel Pass in Switzerland?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
sweetsol15
sweetsol15
2 posts
Mar 18, 2017 - 3:54 AM

hello, i am from india. i have been to switzerland before and simply love the natural beauty & lovely people of this country. i am travelling again this summer and have booked myself (have taken swiss travel pass) as under after arriving at zurich:-

1. 1st halt at interlaken ...plan to go to schilthorn, grindelwald, harder klum.

2. onwards stay at lugano...visit mt bre and lake lugano

3. final stop at zurich....from zurich travel around zurich & lucerne ...mt rigi and pilatus

i have few questions

1. how do i organise myself wrt train journey?

- can i carry small bags in trains alongwith me.

- can anyone suggest which scenic train i can prebook as per my abov e mentioned schedule.

2. swiss travel map does not show from which place i can take boat trips that offer travel under swiss family pass.

....any suggestions how to make most out of my swiss family pass. i wish to make this holiday special for my mother and keep her comfortable during journey from train, bus and boat.

:)

Annika
Annika
4992 posts
expert &
Mar 18, 2017 - 8:37 AM in reply to sweetsol15

Hi sweetsol15, thanks for joining us!

Great that you get to visit Switzerland once more! Let's take a look at your questions.

1. Absolutely, it's no problem to carry along your luggage. This goes for both smaller as well as larger pieces. You'll find storage space above or in between the seats, or at the end of each carriage.

As for scenic trains: your transfer from Interlaken to Lugano will be very scenic. First you can catch the Golden Pass train to Lucerne. There you can either board the official Gotthard Panorama Express or regional trains covering pretty much the same route. If you want to avoid the quick (but quite boring) tunnel connection between Arth-Goldau and Bellinzona and use the slower scenic trains crossing the mountains instead, enter "Göschenen" as a via-station in the timetable. This will be a long but rewarding travel day. You can use the same scenic route when traveling back from Lugano to Zurich.

2. The Swiss Travel Pass validity map does show white lines on the lakes where free traveling applies; you may have to zoom in to see such details. It's also listed in text at the Swiss Travel pass validity page I just linked to. You can make free boat rides over Lake Thun, Lake Brienz, Lake Lucerne and Lake Zurich for example.

The Swiss Travel Pass can be bought from the resellers listed here. I recommend an easy online e-ticket purchase (no shipping or handling fees) from the official SBB tourist webshop at www.swissrailways.com/ en.

Last modified on May 17, 2018 - 11:42 AM by Arno
sweetsol15
sweetsol15
2 posts
Mar 18, 2017 - 9:28 AM in reply to Annika

thank you so much. is there any website for boats where i can get timetable and place of boarding and disembarking.

i already booked a swiss family pass from swiss travel system website.

thank you so much for ur guidance

:)

Arno
Arno
11161 posts
expert &
Mar 18, 2017 - 10:48 AM in reply to sweetsol15

Hi sweetsol15,

The boat page Annika linked to allows you to click to the various boat trips. You'll find links to timetables there.

suzanne3030
suzanne3030
4 posts
Mar 18, 2017 - 1:02 PM

Hi

Swiss Travel Pass can be used to travel from Paris to Basel? And Basel to Amsterdam?

Arno
Arno
11161 posts
expert &
Mar 18, 2017 - 3:11 PM in reply to suzanne3030

Hi Suzanne3030,

Those routes are not included because they're not in Switzerland. What's included can be found on the map Annika referred to in her first post.

Tickets from Paris and to Amsterdam can be found here:

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018