Ideal Swiss itinerary for a 7 days in early April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2018 at 22:45:44 #814912

Greetings (from California),

My buddy and I plan on visiting Switzerland in early April (4-10) to celebrate my 33rd birthday. However, it is like ‘the blind leading the blind.’ We have no clue on what we will be doing. We have no specific attractions or places to visit. All we want to do is explore the country and experience what it has to offer.

As the saying goes, “to get to know a city is to get lost in it.” However, we would like some sort of ideas on where to get lost as we do not want to spend the entire vacation sitting on a train/bus or walking around with no point of destination.

We will be arriving in Zurich. We would greatly appreciate it if you could provide some suggestions and recommendations on where to go from Zurich in this time of the year. We were thinking of staying one or two nights in Zurich, then stay another night at a different town/city, or we could stay the entire time in Zurich. It would be great if we can experience a little bit of the mountain side, the night life, the local food, etc.

Appreciate your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 March 2018 at 1:40:45 #879578

Greetings (from Australia) travelingbud and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

April is a bit between seasons. Still cold at lower levels and still a lot of snow higher up.

You could start here http://www.myswissalps.com/pl antrip.

Definitely have a look at Lucerne, it is a lovely city, just 1 hour from Zurich Airport and within reach of the Alps. See http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/activities.

The Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) is invaluable to plan your travel. If you haven’t used it before it will pay to read the instructions on that page before delving into the timetable.

You might also want to read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2018 at 12:55:43 #879579

For night life you are best off in Zurich but for mountains Lucerne is much better – I would split your time between the two. Maybe 2 nights in Zurich and 4 in Lucerne. A good day trip from Lucerne is Bern or Montreux on the Golden Pass line (for a nice scenic train trip).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2018 at 3:48:10 #879580

Thank you both, rockoyster and Lucas.

We ended up booking 2 nights in Lucerne and then 3 nights in Zurich. We have the entire day of the 5th through the 7th in Lucerne and then head out to Zurich from the evening of the 7th until morning of the 10th.

While in Lucerne, we would like to check out Bern, Interlaken, Thun, and Andermatt. Could you give us good routes to be able to visit all these places, if doable?

For Zurich, could you provide us some recommendations on what to do there?

Thank you again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2018 at 8:48:47 #879581

I wouldn’t worry much about Interlaken – it isn’t the most interesting town if you don’t have something specific in mind to do there. Further, with Andermatt it is a good town for connecting on to the Glacier Express – did you have something specific in mind to see there?

As for recommendations in Lucerne and Zurich, first have a look at my links on my last post and click the what to do tab.

Otherwise, some night life areas in Zurich (I live there and know more about it than Lucerne).
    The Hardbrücke area (just outside of downtown Zurich) is quite popular as is the Niederdorf (old town of Zurich).

• The thread ‘Ideal Swiss itinerary for a 7 days in early April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.