Thun as a base in January or different locations?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Kishla3292
Kishla3292
1 post
Oct 14, 2019 - 2:09 AM

Hi! My husband and I are traveling to Switzerland for the first time in January. We have 4 days and 3 nights. We are traveling from Paris and are planning to buy a eurail global pass. I'm just not sure whether we should book a chalet in Thun to stay all nights or stay at different locations. I want to see Zermatt, Interlaken, and Zurich. Can you please share your thoughts and recommendations? Thank you

Snowman
Snowman
689 posts
top member
Oct 14, 2019 - 5:04 PM in reply to Kishla3292

I am not aware of chalets in Thun, but apart from that all options are possible, as well as many othes. It's all up to you.

Annika
Annika
6101 posts
expert &
Oct 14, 2019 - 5:46 PM in reply to Kishla3292

Hi Kishla3292, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

Yes, I think Thun would make a great base town for your plans. It's a scenic town on the shores of the lake, with excellent rail connections to several parts of the country. Please refer to www.myswissalps.com/th un for more information. Note that holiday homes and apartments are usually rented out for full weeks only, although exceptions may apply. For a shorter stay, hotels may be a bit easier: www.myswissalps.com/ho tels, www.myswissalps.com/th un/hotels. You can check traveling times to all destinations with the aid of the SBB advanced timetable at www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

Please find further information about the Eurail Global Pass at www.myswissalps.com/eu railglobalpass, and information on towns you mentioned at

Last modified on Oct 15, 2019 - 8:25 AM by Annika
1960man
1960man
2254 posts
top member
Oct 14, 2019 - 10:55 PM in reply to Kishla3292

You won't find 'chalets' in Thun as it is a main town. You might find apartments but yours is a short stay so I would choose accomodation based on what looks attractive on the main travel accommodation websites, ie booking.com , hotels.com , expedia.com , trivago.com etc

Nevertheless Thun is a good base as it is on a major railway route with easy access to the Capital city Bern to the north and the Alps to the south

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019