Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Thun as a base in January or different locations?

Thun as a base in January or different locations?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Kishla3292
Kishla3292
1 post
Oct 14, 2019 - 2:09 AM

Hi! My husband and I are traveling to Switzerland for the first time in January. We have 4 days and 3 nights. We are traveling from Paris and are planning to buy a eurail global pass. I'm just not sure whether we should book a chalet in Thun to stay all nights or stay at different locations. I want to see Zermatt, Interlaken, and Zurich. Can you please share your thoughts and recommendations? Thank you

Snowman
Snowman
748 posts
top member
Oct 14, 2019 - 5:04 PM in reply to Kishla3292

I am not aware of chalets in Thun, but apart from that all options are possible, as well as many othes. It's all up to you.

Annika
Annika
6192 posts
expert &
Oct 14, 2019 - 5:46 PM in reply to Kishla3292

Hi Kishla3292, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

Yes, I think Thun would make a great base town for your plans. It's a scenic town on the shores of the lake, with excellent rail connections to several parts of the country. Please refer to www.myswissalps.com/th un for more information. Note that holiday homes and apartments are usually rented out for full weeks only, although exceptions may apply. For a shorter stay, hotels may be a bit easier: www.myswissalps.com/ho tels, www.myswissalps.com/th un/hotels. You can check traveling times to all destinations with the aid of the SBB advanced timetable at www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

Please find further information about the Eurail Global Pass at www.myswissalps.com/eu railglobalpass, and information on towns you mentioned at

Last modified on Oct 15, 2019 - 8:25 AM by Annika
1960man
1960man
2542 posts
top member
Oct 14, 2019 - 10:55 PM in reply to Kishla3292

You won't find 'chalets' in Thun as it is a main town. You might find apartments but yours is a short stay so I would choose accomodation based on what looks attractive on the main travel accommodation websites, ie booking.com , hotels.com , expedia.com , trivago.com etc

Nevertheless Thun is a good base as it is on a major railway route with easy access to the Capital city Bern to the north and the Alps to the south

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020