In & around Lucern

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2015 at 7:51:59 #807273

Hi,

We would be staying in Lucern for 3 days & would like some details as this our first trip about where do we go from lucern in these 3 days? Which Mountain excursions are possible?

Thanks.

Ravinders ingh

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 May 2015 at 8:54:51 #843303

Hi Ravinders,

Please see the Lucerne page: myswissalps.com/ lucerne/activities.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 May 2015 at 0:51:51 #843304

<<“We would be staying in Lucern for 3 days & would like some details as this our first trip about where do we go from lucern in these 3 days?Which Mountain excursions are possible?”>>

What are you rinterests?

Museums?

Mountain excursions?

Hiking?

Exploring the items of interest in the city of Luzern?

Lake boat excursions?

A comment about your interests would make it easier to offer suggestions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2015 at 3:01:09 #843305

Mountain excursions & local sightseeing only. Thanks.

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 May 2015 at 10:51:55 #843306

In that case you can find useful tips on the page I referred to earlier. A 3-day Tell Pass is worth your consideration.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 May 2015 at 14:04:59 #843307

<<“Mountain excursions & local sightseeing only. Thanks.”>>

Arno has pointed you to best first place to look.

Pilatus is close to Luzern, accessible by train or by lake boat, and is a really impressive cog rail ride. There are great views from up top, but not a whole lot of walking around space. Some restaurants/hotels.

I attached one very old photo taken going up to the top of Pilatus.

The Rigi is a much gentler mountain. More room to walk around, more hotels/restaurants at different locations, several different ways to go up and down. Also very nice views.

I remember my first visit to the top of the Rigi (Rigi Kulm) about 30 years ago. It was a kind of cloudy day, and I was at the top watching a sailplane appear and disappear as it flew around the mountain at alevel lower than my viewpoint.

I have not been to Titlis. It is a bit further away than Pilatus.

If a like boat ride interests you, there are various routes, so you can focus on the northern parts of the lake or ride from one end to another.

If I am taking a lake boat, i always pick up the printed schedule brochure and study the various criss-crossing route options, as well as which stops give me bus/train access back to Luzern.

The brochures are available at the ticket counters at the various stops, or from the very good tourist information office by track #1 in Luzern Main Station. (Hauptbahnhof). They can also offer sightseeing suggestions.

One which I and my family and friends have enjoyed is not far from the famous Lion of Luzern. I don’t recall if this web site mentions it.

It is the Bourbaki Panorama.

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/bourbaki-panorama-luzern-luzern.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=qnQf8f_8rDk​

• The thread ‘In & around Lucern’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.