Information required for Swiss Itinerary and Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2013 at 7:48:32 #806184

Hai,

Myself and my Wife plan to visit Switzerland and Italy by January,2014. Following are the Itinerary I have planned.

Day 1 to 4 : Arrival into Vencie, Italy and around venice.
    Day 4 : Venice to Lucerne by train
    Day 5 : Lucerne (Visit to Mt.Titlis)
    Day 6 : Lucerne (Vist to Mt.Pilatus)
    Day 7 : Lucerne (Vist to Mt.Rigi)
    Day 8 : Lucerne to Interlaken by train (Interlaken Local Sight Seeing)
    Day 9 : Interlaken (Visit to Jungfrau)
    Day 10 : Interlaken (Visit to Schilthorn)
    Day 11 : Interlaken to Zermatt by train (Zermatt Local Sight Seeing)
    Day 12 : Zermatt (Visit to Matterhorn / Gornergrat)
    Day 13 : Zermatt to Chur by Glacier Express and Evening Chur to Zurich airport by train. Night Departure back to Home country.

Please someone advice me whether the above Itinerary is ok or need to change and also tell me which rail pass can be use for the above Itinerary. Thanks.

Regards,
    Muthu.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    26 September 2013 at 12:56:48 #839273

Welcome to the forum, Muthu. You created quite an impressive schedule, with lots of mountain tops. That’s a good choice for Winter, as the lower regions may be covered by clouds and mist whereas it’s clear and sunny high up in the mountains. There are no guarantees though, so my advice is to create some back-up plans including museums and boat rides in case weather is too bad to visit all viewing points. Also make sure to arrive well in time at the Zurich Airport on day 13. All traveling times can be found in the timetable.

A 5 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass would be a good deal. You’d use free travel days on day 4 (Swiss border-Lucerne), day 7 (Rigi is entirely for free on a free travel day), 8 (Lucerne-Interlaken), 11 (Interlaken-Zermatt) and 13 (Zermatt-Chur-Zurich). A discount applies on all remaining days. Please find further information at the page I linked to or get details for Dubai residents here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 October 2013 at 8:14:35 #839274

Hai Expert,
    Thank You for your best suggestions. Finally I made my Itinerary after getting lot of information from myswissalps forum.
    Day 1 to 3 : Arrival into Vencie, Italy and around venice.
    Day 4 : Early morning depart from Venice to Tirano (By Italy rail) and again Tirano to St.Moritz (By Berina Express). Overnight at St.Moritz
    Day 5 : St.Moritz to Zermatt (By Glacier Express). Overnight at Zermatt
    Day 6 : Zermatt (Visit Matterhorn and Gornergrat). Overnight at Zermatt
    Day 7 : Zermatt to Grindelwald (By trian). Overnight at Grindelwald
    Day 8 : Grindelwald (Visit Shilthorn). Overnight at Grindelwald
    Day 9 : Grindelwald (Visit Jungfrau). Overnight at Grindelwald
    Day 10 : Grindelwald to Lucerne (By Trian). Overnight at Lucerne
    Day 11 : Lucerne (Visit Mt.Rigi). Overnight at Lucerne
    Day 12 : Lucerne (Visit Mt.Pilatus). Overnight at Lucerne
    Day 13 : Lucerne (Visit Mt.Titlis) . Overnight at Lucerne
    Day 14 : Lucerne to Zurich (By train). Night fly back to Home.

I plan to Buy Swiss Flexi Pass 05 Days/ 01 Month. Iam going to use on Day 4, 5, 7, 10 & 11 and for balance day’s I will get 50% reduction fare. From the above Trains and Excursions, which one needs reservations? I think Summer seems to be good for clear views of mountains, because we are not going to do any winter activities like skiing, Ice skating, hiking, paragliding etc. what about your suggestion?

Hotels List :

St.Moritz : “Youth Hostel” (01 Night)
    Zermatt : “Le Petit”, (02 Nights)
    Grindelwald : “Lehmann`s Herberge” (03 Nights)
    Lucerne : “IBIS ETAB” (04 Nights)

Expert how the Itinerary seems to be? Whether it is ok or need to change? Looking for your valuable suggestions.

Regards,
    Muthu

Annika
    7125 posts
    15 October 2013 at 6:30:19 #839275

Hello Muthu! Your schedule is still highly weather dependent. It’s not clear to me whether you plan a winter or summer visit, but in both cases alternative plans and some flexibility are necessary. The 5 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass will work, but please note that its validity ends after the last day of free traveling. So in your case, you wouldn’t profit from discounts anymore after day 11. You can either shift one free travel day, e.g. day 13/14 instead of day 10, or get a 6 day Flexi Pass.

As for seat reservation: only the Glacier Express requires reservations. You can also get them for the Bernina Express if you want to travel in a panoramic train. Regular regional trains that don’t need reservation run on this route too though.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 October 2013 at 7:06:54 #839276

Thank you for your Valuable Suggestion. Iam going to plan my trip for next summer. Please describe the below Information you have provided in detail because Iam not getting Understand.

“You can either shift one free travel day, e.g. day 13/14 instead of day 10, or get a 6 day Flexi Pass

Thanks.

Annika
    7125 posts
    15 October 2013 at 13:15:02 #839277

Hi Muthu. As mentioned at the Swiss Flexi Pass page, the pass is only valid between the first and last travel day. If you plan your fifth and last free travel day on day 11, as you suggested, you can’t use the pass anymore on days 12, 13 and 14. If you want to profit from discounts during your entire stay, you’ll have to plan the last free travel day at the very end of your stay, on day 13 or 14. You can do so by

• picking a 6 day pass and planning free travel days on day 4, 5, 7, 10, 11 and 13 or 14;
    • still getting a 5 day pass, but removing one of the previous free travel days, for example day 10, and plan it on day 13 or 14 instead.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 October 2013 at 15:48:07 #839278

Thank you so much for cleared my query with detailed explanation, now I will plan accordingly.

• The thread ‘Information required for Swiss Itinerary and Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.