Interlaken or Grindelwald in May 2018

Interlaken or Grindelwald in May 2018

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Tanima
Tanima
3 posts
Oct 10, 2017 - 2:51 AM

Hi,

We are planning travel in May next year with my almost 3 year old then, my parents, my husband and me. What would you recommend as a better place to stay - Interlaken on Grindelwald? given that

1. We wish to be in the most scenic locations

2. We close to the rail stations, so we can easily travel to other locations

3. Minimise walking from one location to next as it could be tough for a 3 year old and my parents

I really like Grindelwald from the images I have seen but does that involve lots of walking and being at a fair distant from shops and restuarants?

Also is a trip to Zermatt worth considering in May?

We are visiting spending 2 nights in Zurich, 2 nights in Lucerne. We plan to head to Montreux and then to Geneva and Paris from there.

appreciate any advice

Thanks

Tanima

Lucas
Lucas
3096 posts
expert &
Oct 10, 2017 - 8:11 AM in reply to Tanima

Hi Tanima and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Most scenic -Definitely Grindelwald over Interlaken
  2. Best rail connections -Definitely Interlaken over Grindelwald

Unfortunately it is hard to get both - how about Lauterbrunnen as a good compromise?

Zermatt can be nice in May yes, not great for hiking yet but I don't think that is high on your priority list.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
3621 posts
expert
Oct 10, 2017 - 10:54 PM in reply to Tanima

Hi Tanima -

When in May will you be traveling?

www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

Please note that in the lower altitudes, May is Spring, but in the high Alps it is the tail end of Winter. Many of the mountain excursion services near the Jungfrau don't start operating until about May 20th. It is low season...between ski season and hiking season.

The cograil from Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg, branch to Jungfraujoch, or onward to Wengen and Lauterbrunnen runs all year. Some hotels and restaurants remain open.

Check this thread for more details.

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/visiting-jungfrau-region-mid-may-closures

Also:

<<"We are visiting spending 2 nights in Zurich, 2 nights in Lucerne. We

plan to head to Montreux and then to Geneva and Paris from there.">>

This does not seem to include Interlaken, Grindelwald....?

Do you have specific interests in Zürich? I ask because it is normally not a good scenic "first time tourist" destination , although there are many very nice things about the city:

www.myswissalps.com/zu rich

I always spend time there on my trips for cultural events, museums, restaurants, etc., for example. But, I don't go for scenery.

Slowpoke

Jfarswan
Jfarswan
1 post
Oct 11, 2017 - 4:33 AM in reply to Tanima

Hi,

you may plan 2 days in Zurich/ Lucerne and 2 days in Interlaken , Interlaken is central place and you can visit more places from there

Regards

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017