Interlaken or Grindelwald in May 2018

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2017 at 2:51:07 #813478

Hi,

We are planning travel in May next year with my almost 3 year old then, my parents, my husband and me. What would you recommend as a better place to stay – Interlaken on Grindelwald? given that

1. We wish to be in the most scenic locations

2. We close to the rail stations, so we can easily travel to other locations

3. Minimise walking from one location to next as it could be tough for a 3 year old and my parents

I really like Grindelwald from the images I have seen but does that involve lots of walking and being at a fair distant from shops and restuarants?

Also is a trip to Zermatt worth considering in May?

We are visiting spending 2 nights in Zurich, 2 nights in Lucerne. We plan to head to Montreux and then to Geneva and Paris from there.

appreciate any advice

Thanks

Tanima

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2017 at 8:11:33 #870832

Hi Tanima and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Most scenic -Definitely Grindelwald over Interlaken
    2. Best rail connections -Definitely Interlaken over Grindelwald

Unfortunately it is hard to get both – how about Lauterbrunnen as a good compromise?

Zermatt can be nice in May yes, not great for hiking yet but I don’t think that is high on your priority list.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 October 2017 at 22:54:58 #870833

Hi Tanima –

When in May will you be traveling?

http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

Please note that in the lower altitudes, May is Spring, but in the high Alps it is the tail end of Winter. Many of the mountain excursion services near the Jungfrau don’t start operating until about May 20th. It is low season…between ski season and hiking season.

The cograil from Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg, branch to Jungfraujoch, or onward to Wengen and Lauterbrunnen runs all year. Some hotels and restaurants remain open.

Check this thread for more details.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/visiting-jungfrau-region-mid-may-closures

Also:

<<“We are visiting spending 2 nights in Zurich, 2 nights in Lucerne. We

plan to head to Montreux and then to Geneva and Paris from there.”>>

This does not seem to include Interlaken, Grindelwald….?

Do you have specific interests in Zürich? I ask because it is normally not a good scenic “first time tourist” destination , although there are many very nice things about the city:

http://www.myswissalps.com/zu rich

I always spend time there on my trips for cultural events, museums, restaurants, etc., for example. But, I don’t go for scenery.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2017 at 4:33:55 #870834

Hi,

you may plan 2 days in Zurich/ Lucerne and 2 days in Interlaken , Interlaken is central place and you can visit more places from there

Regards

• The thread ‘Interlaken or Grindelwald in May 2018’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.