Is Swiss Travel Pass enough for 3 days Interlaken?

• robinl
    Participant
    13 posts
    30 May 2022 at 16:28:27 #827355

I’m still a little confused about using the Swiss Travel Pass in the Jungfrau region. I’m arriving in ZRH and planning to train to Interlaken and will be staying 3 days there with plans to visit Top of Europe, Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen. Should I invest in a Jungfrau Travel Pass or will my Swiss Travel Pass work in these regions?

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6274 posts
    30 May 2022 at 17:49:57 #942577

Hi robinl,

First of all, the main difference between a Swiss Travel Pass (STP) and a Jungfrau Travel Pass (JTP) is the validity area. The STP is valid nationwide so you can use it for free travel from Zurich to Interlaken, and Interlaken to Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen. Meanwhile, the JTP is only valid in the Jungfrau region so it covers travel between Interlaken, Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen. You would need to get additional ticket from Zurich to Interlaken.

Secondly, the JTP includes unlimited rides on most mountain transportation in the Jungfrau region. This includes cable cars, gondolas and funiculars. With the STP, you pay half-price for mountain transportation so you would still need to arrange for discounted tickets for all your mountain excursions. So in terms of convenience, if your plan is focused in just one region, I think it’s worth getting the JTP.

You can compare the 2 by looking at the validity map carefully:

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Heart_Voyage
    Participant
    99 posts
    31 May 2022 at 11:41:16 #942578

Hi Anna,

We booked tickets to visit Jungfraujoch this Sunday and the weather forecast says 90% rain. We really want to go and we’re hoping rain in Switzerland does not last long 🙂

Should we cancel the tickets? We have today to cancel. Or we should take a chance?

Thanks Anna.

Arno
    15471 posts
    31 May 2022 at 11:48:05 #942579

Hi Heart Voyage,

Looking at the forecast, Sunday morning could still be ok. But it’s really too early to tell. Weather in the mountains can change very fast, for the worse or the better.

robinl
    Participant
    13 posts
    31 May 2022 at 20:54:50 #942580

Thanks Anna always for the insights.

WIll have to go back and do some calculations.

From what I see, train from Eigergletscher to Jungfraujoch is extra regardless of pass. The Eiger express is included in the JTP. But is it in the Swiss Travel Pass?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2022 at 6:29:04 #942581

Hi robinl,

Jungfraujoch with Swiss Travel Pass:

• Train to Grindelwald or Wengen: free
    • Train from Grindelwald or Wengen to Jungfraujoch (Eigergletscher – Jungfraujoch included): 25% off
    • Cable car from Grindelwald Terminal to Eigergletscher (Eiger Gletcher): 25% off
    • more information about the validity: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity

Jungfraujoch with Jungfrau Travel Pass:

• Train to Eigergletscher: free
    • Cable car from Grindelwald Terminal to Eigergletscher (Eiger Gletcher): free
    • Train from Eigergletscher to Jungfraujoch: Fixed discounted price (2022): CHF 63 for a return ticket (CHF 75 from June through August)
    • more information about the validity: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrautravelpass/validity

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

More about how to get to the Jungfraujoch: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch/gettingthere

• The thread ‘Is Swiss Travel Pass enough for 3 days Interlaken?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.