Half-Fare Card another name for Swiss Travel Pass?

• Sandra59
    Participant
    41 posts
    24 May 2018 at 4:57:53 #816194

Hi Team,

Is the Half-Fare Travel Card another name for the Swiss Travel Pass? I am on the SBB site looking to purchase a cogwheel train trip from Alpnachstad PB to Pilatus Kulm and in the drop down box I have to put what concession card I have. It’s the Swiss Travel Pass (to be eligible to pay only 50% of the standard fare) but my only option is to select ‘Half-Fare Travel Card’ but when I select that with my DOB (21/11/1959) is keeps saying it’s incorrect?

Any idea what I am doing wrong? Just playing around with it to make sure that when I am in Switzerland things work the way I think they will.

Thanks, Sandra

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 May 2018 at 5:58:01 #886166

Hi Sandra,

Try writing the date 21.11.1959.

The Half-fare card is not the same as the Swiss Travel Pass but using the half-fare reduction gets you the correct price.

BUT to go up the cogwheel you need a card with a magnetic strip on it to get through the turnstiles so you may as well just buy the ticket at the cogwheel station. Wave your STP for 50% discount.

Sandra59
    Participant
    41 posts
    24 May 2018 at 9:00:34 #886167

Thanks! That leads to another question for the same leg of this trip:

the train arrives at 9:29 am and it takes 2 mins to walk to the cogwheel station and that departs at 9:35 am – so only 6 mins – which leaves only 4 mins to buy the 4 tickets. I guess there will also be many others coming off the same train going to do the same thing at the ticket booth. Will there be enough time to board the cogwheel train before it leaves OR does it wait until everybody gets over? OR do you just have to wait until the next cogwheel leaves 45 mins later?

Is this the same process for all the other trips where you need a ticket and/or want the fare reduced by the 50%. (cogwheels/cable cars etc)

Regards,

Sandra

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 May 2018 at 9:36:38 #886168

Hi Sandra,

Pretty much the deal – I wouldn’t bank on getting tickets in a 4 minutes slot but you may. There will probably be queues. The trains run to a schedule.

I went up by cable car from Kreins, came down by cog wheel to Alpnachstad and boat back to Luzern. A very nice round trip. On the way down the cog-wheel was delayed. We just made it to the boat but others didn’t.

Sandra59
    Participant
    41 posts
    24 May 2018 at 13:56:04 #886169

Thanks for that. You wonder why there is so little time before the connection.

Regards,

Sandra

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 14:19:58 #886170

There are other, better connections you could try.

The 09:12 Luzern departure gives you only 6 minutes, but the 0942 departure gets you 16 minutes to connect. Perhaps delay your departure in Luzern so you don’t need to wait around Alnachstad if you don’t make the connection?

Sandra59
    Participant
    41 posts
    24 May 2018 at 14:29:57 #886171

Thanks Lucas, better option.

• The thread ‘Half-Fare Card another name for Swiss Travel Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.