Itinerary advice-2-3 day trip in Lauterbrunnen

• Tkelliott2
    Participant
    6 posts
    17 June 2022 at 17:06:55 #827527

We are travelling to Italy/Bellagio June 24th for our daughter’s wedding. We are then headed to Lauterbrunnen and base in Murren. We arrive in Lauterbrunnen on Wed., June 29 (I believe it will take 7 hours via train plus the time to travel to wherever to catch the train to Lauterbrunnen. I haven’t figured that out yet) and leave on Sat., June 2. That gives us all day Thurs/Friday to visit. These are the things I’d like to do but just don’t know how to configure it to maximize our time. I also saw somewhere about renting ebikes to save time. If this could be done to save time to do more scenic trails that would be good. I’m posting again later once my itinerary is set to see about passes/eurorail passes because we are also traveling in Italy. Thinking one day in Lauterbrunnen/Murren side and 2nd day Grimmelwald side.

Definitely: Trummelbach & Staubach Falls, Grindelwald/First & activities, beautiful scenic trailwalks, any place to ride a louge or tobaggan?

One or more easy beautiful scenic trail walks::Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg, Murren-Scenic Trail Grutschalp, Panoramic walk from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, Allmendhubel

If time but probably not: Jungfrauch OR Schlithorn (not really into James Bond), is Gimmewald better than Grimewald?

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    18 June 2022 at 11:40:50 #943339

Hi Tkelliott2,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

The Jungfrau region is really not a big region and with its excellent transport network it’s fairly easy to cover a lot of grounds within a few days. Based on your plans, you could possibly cover Lauterbrunnen, Mürren and Gimmelwald in one day. Then you have one day free to explore other places in the region such as Wengen, Männlichen and Grindelwald (also possible in one day). There is a summer toboggan on Pfingstegg that you might be interested in.

Some scenic hikes you can do in the region:

Mannlichen Panoramaweg

First to Bachalpsee

Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg

Let us know if you need more info.

Regards,

Anna

Brown1950
    Participant
    13 posts
    18 June 2022 at 15:30:22 #943340

We stayed in Murren and will be heading back this year. We really enjoyed the Panoramic walk from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. If you enjoyed photography this is a great hike with plenty of photogenic compositions starting at the beginning of the trail and information area. You can get there from Grindelwald or the other side via Train to Wengen from Lauterbrunnen then walk to the Mannlichen lift. Take the train back to Wengen and Lauterbrunnen for your return to Murren.

Plenty of hikes on both sides and activities as well. Gimmelwald is a quaint village worth visiting and accessible vie lift from Stechelberg or Murren. Nice Alp Cheese !

Have a great trip !

Tkelliott2
    Participant
    6 posts
    18 June 2022 at 19:11:50 #943341

Stunning photos, thank you! Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Tkelliott2
    Participant
    6 posts
    18 June 2022 at 19:12:56 #943342

Thank you so much! This really helped to clarify my itinerary.

Tkelliott2
    Participant
    6 posts
    18 June 2022 at 19:21:40 #943343

This is on the topic of needed passes. Not sure if I should be posting elsewhere. Based on what I’ve said we plan to do in Switzerland, this is the other part of our itinerary. Wondering what type of pass to get.

Arriving Milan-train & ferry to Bellagio

Bellagio- Lauterbrunnen (not sure how, train?) – Murren (cable/gondola)

Then activities mentioned in original post- Day 1-Lauterbrunnen, Gimmewald

Day 2-Wengen,Mannlichen,Grindelwald/trails

Lauterbrunnen- Florence, Italy

Some sightseeing in Chianti area ( not sure how yet) in addition to tour planned

Ideas for passes??

Anna
    6382 posts
    18 June 2022 at 19:50:36 #943344

Hi Tkelliot2,

It’s ok to stick to one thread for all your postings.

To answer your questions:

Travelling from Bellagio to Lauterbrunnen/Mürren – if you’re using public transport, a sensible option would be to take the ferry from Bellagio to Varenna, then from Varenna to Milan by train. From Milan you can take a fast train to to Brig via Domodossola. From Brig, take a connecting train to Lauterbrunnen via Spiez and Interlaken. I think the whole journey takes about 5 hours, perhaps longer depending on which connection you take. You can check for point-to-point tickets (Bellagio to Mürren) here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy. Another option would be to get a railpass to cover your excursions in the Jungfrau region such as a 3- or 4-day Jungfrau Travel Pass (JTP). If you have a JTP valid from the first day in Mürren, you only need a train ticket from Bellagio to Interlaken. From Interlaken to Mürren, travelling is free with the JTP. You can find more information about this pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrautravelpass

A multi-country pass for Switzerland and Italy might also be an option for you. You can check out the Eurail Global Pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/eurailglobalpass

Would this work for you?

Regards,

Anna

Tkelliott2
    Participant
    6 posts
    19 June 2022 at 4:58:13 #943345

Thank you, that narrows it down for me. Really appreciate the help on getting there from LComo!

Tkelliott2
    Participant
    6 posts
    19 June 2022 at 5:09:30 #943346

Do we need a trail map or is it easily marked?

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 June 2022 at 10:36:23 #943347

Hi Tkelliott2,

Trails are very well marked. If you hike at easy and popular trails such as Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg you won’t need a map. For longer hikes in less frequented terrain, a map is recommended. You can read about hiking, safety, preparation and maps here:

• The thread ‘Itinerary advice-2-3 day trip in Lauterbrunnen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.