August in Switzerland – Wengen / Lucerne advice

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2018 at 11:03:33 #817003

Hi guys we are coming to Switzerland from Lake Como in August and have the following itinerary and questions. Would look some feedback. I’ve read a guide book but am still a bit unsure.

August 18th travel Bellagio to wemhn

18th/19th/20th – 3 nights Wengen(3nights, 2full days)

21st travel to Lucerne

21st/22/23rd – 3 nights Lucerne (2 full days – fly late on 24th from Basel.

so my questions are:

is Wengen the best base. We are 29/32 would like pretty views but some choice of restaurants and perhaps a bar or two if possible. Interlaken doesn’t look as pretty. Heard Grindelwald gets full of tour buses and suspect Mürren/gimmelwald maybe very limited food options? Also do most of the adventure activities go out of Interlaken and if so is it easy enough to get to from Wengen?

should we change itinerary to 4 nights Wengen, 2 nights Lucerne and leave early on the 22 so would have an afternoon, full day and morning in Lucerne. (Thinking first afternoon my Pilatus, full day my Titlis and te next morning/evenings explore town) That would give us 3 full days in the Interlaken/Jungfraujoch region. We would like to do the mountain train or Schilthorn or both, the waterfalls, perhaps a short hike (we aren’t hikers at all but when in Rome…) and an outdoorsy/active activity such as rafting or kayaking. It’s my boyfriends 30th so maybe book him paragliding or something. I feel like we would be better with the 3 days here but would that be leaving too little time for Lucerne?

is it worth doing Titlis and Jungfraujoch or will it be a similar experience.

Is Bern worth a day trip from Lucerne or having the itinerary 3nifhts Wengen, 2 Lucerne, 1 Bern. Or do we scrap Bern and just enjoy more of other two regions.

advice on prettiest train journeys/routes to destinations

Swiss pass or half price pass any thoughts. At the moment I’m thinking they look about 6 and 2/3s but if anyone has any thoughts that’s would be great.

are we right to do Wengen then Lucerne or other way round?

Sorry for the long post. If be happy for any feedback.

Thanks

charlotte

• The thread ‘August in Switzerland – Wengen / Lucerne advice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.