Trip in Switzerland with two young kids early May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 11:30:20 #815480

Hi,

I wish to get some feedback or ideas from my proposed itinerary for 5 days in Switzerland, 30 April to 4th May. I will be travelling with my family of 4. My wife will be about 29 weeks pregnant at the time. We are also bringing our 2 children: 5 y.o. and 2 y.o. We have decided to opt for travelling with public transportation, so we will be buying a couple of 4 day swiss rail passes, despite having to manage 2 little kids along with our luggages. Our proposed itinerary are as follows:

Day 1: 30 April – Arrival at Zurich Airport around 11am

If weather permits, we plan to head to take the scenic Golden Pass Route and visit Lucern City (old town, chapel bridge and lake lucern). Then we plan to head to Mt Rigi, disembarking at Vitznau. Climb aboard the cogwheel train for a ride up to Rigi Kulm and down via aerial cable car at Rigi Kaltbad to Weggis. Following that, we will continue on the rail until we reach our destination – Grindelwald, where we will be staying for the next 4 days.

Day 2: Interlaken and Bern City

In the morning, we plan to head to Interlaken and up to Harder Kulm. After that, we plan to head on to Bern city and stop at Lake Thun along the way. Hopefully we would reach Bern in the afternoon to enjoy relaxed walk around Bern city, to the Gutern Park and maybe also visit the Einsteinhaus.

Day 3: 1 Mountain and 1 car-free city

We may need some expert advice particularly for Day 3 as we aim to reach 1 mountain scenery and 1 car free city. So what we are considering at the moment is to either visit Grindelwald First or Klein Scheldegg or Schiltron. Which one of these would you think is best for us, given we have 2 young children and my wife is pregnant? Is there any particular activity that the kids could enjoy at any of the 3 mountains? Following that, probably after lunch, we plan to either head to Murren or Wengen. Again here we seek your advice, which city would be more enjoyable for the kids?

Day 4: Zermatt – checking out from Grindelwald

We will be checking out from our hotel on this day. Our plan is to visit Zermatt in the morning, and probably head to the Gornergrat. Probably in the afternoon, we would take a stroll around the Zermatt city before we head to Zurich for our last night in Switzerland. Is there any kids friendly activity in Zermatt that you could recommend? Or since this will be our last day, should we spend a bit more time in Zurich in the evening?

Day 5: Flight departing from Zurich 7am. End of Switzerland trip.

Thank you in advance for your tips and advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 19:31:46 #882980

Hi Keeperaisyu,

1. The Golden Pass runs from Lucerne to Montreux. So you probably have in mind taking it from Lucerne to Interlaken and then continue to Grindelwald? It might be a stress to do Mt. Rigi as well. Use the Swiss timetable to plan your trip.
    2. Again you’re trying to do a lot.
    3. Both your kids are still very young. I don’t have kids myself so I wouldn’t be able to tell you which mountain has better activities. Mt. Titlis (close to Lucerne) has eternal snow. I would reckon that would be a bit of fun for the kids. Mürren and Wengen are both small villages. Don’t expect many activities for kids.
    4. Sounds like a stretch. Grindelwald – Zermatt – Zurich is at least six hours on the train. I would be tempted to skip Zermatt and stay at least a night in Lucerne.
  • The thread ‘Trip in Switzerland with two young kids early May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.