Itinerary for a 8 day stay in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 October 2014 at 23:55:05 #806691

My husband and I will be arriving in Zurich on November 26th or 27th from Germany and would like to visit Lucerne, Bern, Montreaux, Zermatt and leave from Zermatt for Milan, Italy on Dec. 6. Of course if there is time the Jungfraujoch and or Mt. Titlis would be nice. How many days in each place do you suggest we allow to have a not too hectic schedule? Thank you for any suggestions. Hotel suggestion would also be welcome. We are not skiers.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    15 October 2014 at 19:20:50 #841234

Welcome to MySwissAlps, Bruce!

I suggest you pick two base towns in order to keep your itinerary low-paced. You could opt for or 4 days in Lucerne or Interlaken first, and then travel onto Zermatt. You can make a day trip to Bern from both Lucerne and Interlaken. Please see the Lucerne and Interlaken pages for day trips and hotel suggestions.

When moving on to Zermatt, you could do so using the scenic Golden Pass line between Interlaken, Spiez, Zweisimmen and Gstaad. This allows you to visit Montreux before heading for Zermatt. You would only have a few hours to do so though, if you want to get to Zermatt the same day. If you want to spend more time in Montreux, you should book an overnight stay there, but that might be more hectic over all. The Zermatt page provides further information, tips and hotel suggestions.

The timetable will assist you in your planning. Also, this guide on how to create your itinerary could be helpful.

A rail pass would come in handy. Depending on your exact travel schedule, you may want to look into an 8 day Swiss Saver Pass or a 3 or 4 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass.

Does this get you started?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 October 2014 at 22:47:46 #841235

Thank you. I was planning to spend two nights in Zurich, Then 3 nights in Lucerne, 1 night in Bern, 2 nights in Vevey, 2 nights in Zermatt and then go on to Milan. that would be 10 days. Still too hectic?

Arno
    15482 posts
    16 October 2014 at 6:20:41 #841236

Hi Bruce,

Well, it’s a personal choice in the end, so if this is not too hectic to you it’s all fine. I would agree with Annika and rather cut down on the number of bases. Just an example: from Lucerne, you can easily visit Bern and Zurich as a day trip. The direct train from Lucerne via Schüpfheim to Bern is a really nice ride. Staying longer in one place gives you the flexibility of visiting towns when the weather is not that good and do trips into the mountains when it’s sunny. Also it saves time as checking in and out of hotels and packing/unpacking takes quite some time. So I would stick to Lucerne, Vevey and Zermatt.

• The thread ‘Itinerary for a 8 day stay in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.