Apr 12, 2016 - 9:52 AM
Thank you for such an informative forum, it's been a great help in trip planning thus far!
I'll be going to Switzerland from 15th-21st June 2016 with my mum, and our itinerary is as follows, would be very grateful for any comments or suggestions, esp for the hiking bits. My mum is in her early 60s and I'm 26, but we're both active and while haven't done much mountain hikes before, are fairly physically fit otherwise.
Here's the itinerary:
15th June (wed) Wengen: Arrive in zurich (flight reaches at roughly 9am)
- Zurich airport --> Wengen (aim to reach by 3pm)
- explore wengen and have dinner at our hotel
16th June (Thurs) Wengen: Visit Jungfraujoch in morning (highlight of the trip!), hiking around the area in the afternoon
- option A: roundtrip from wengen to jungfraujoch back to wengen, then take gondola to mannlichen for the hike to kleine schiedgg
- option B: wengen --> jungfraujoch --> grindelwald --> gondola to mannlichen --> hike from mannlichen to kleine schiedegg and take train back to wengen (sounds more exciting, but not sure if this is doable?)
- option C: wengen --> jungfraujoch --> kleine schiedegg --> hike to mannlichen, then take gondola down (but the con is that the views would be behind us!)
17th June (Fri) Wengen : train from wengen to lauterbrunnnen --> grutchalp--> hike to murren (+ lunch at hotel eidelweiss in murren)
- explore lauterbrunnen in the evening
- dinner somewhere nice in lauterbrunnen (any reccomendations?)
18th June (Zermatt)Sat : train fron wengen to Zermatt -reaching around 2pm in the afternoon
Gornergrat Bahn with a stop at Riffelsee lake!
19th June (Zermatt) Sun: Hopefully make it for a church service in the morning, then explore zermatt before the train from Zermatt to Montreux in the afternoon
20th June (Montreux) Monday: Train to Gruyeres/ Broc- Fabrique for the cheese and chocolate factories!
21st June (Montreux) Tues: Train from montreux to zurich and flight back home.
After calculating all the train fares, it comes out to ~507 CHF per person if we were to get the half fare card, and 540 CHF if we buy the 8 days swiss pass... so I'm most likely going to get the swiss pass for the convenience.
- Which would be the best option for the day we go to jungfraujoch and do the mannlichen hike?
- Is it possible to buy a ticket straight through from Zurich Airport to Wengen or would we have to buy tickets for each big change e.g at Bern, if we were to go for the half fare card?
- Any other must-do hikes in the Bernese Oberland area?
Thank you so much!!