Opinions on my 10 day Switzerland April itinerary?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2019 at 2:34:26 #820064

My husband and I are planning a 10 day train/sightseeing Swiss trip in the second half of April, entering Switzerland from Chamonix. Would appreciate comments on whether this will work?

2 nights Montreux, exploring locally on and around lake. To Interlake on GoldenPass Line

2 nights Interlake, exploring Lake Thun/Spiez and either Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn. To Lucerne on rest of GoldenPass (I know technically, this is not, but supposed to be a nice route, nevertheless).

2 nights Lucerne, including Mt Rigi. Train Lucerne to Andermatt (I think this may be part of the Gotthard route?) to meet Glacier Express from Andermatt to St Moritz.

3 nights St Moritz, exploring Bernina pass and villages towards Scuol. Train to St Gallen

1 night St Gallen before train to Zurich airport.

Also concerned April will be ‘mud month’, as it is known in some countries, but silently hoping for some spring green-ness and flowers in parts!

Thanks for your thoughts!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2019 at 8:54:33 #904819

Hi Carson and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It seems like a reasonable plan here. April can be pretty nice at lower altitudes but you’ll find the mountains and resort towns (St. Moritz) very quiet by about the 2nd week of April (ski season ends) and it doesn’t pick up again until mid to late June. Some mountains close for maintenance entirely for a week or more around that time as well.

Lucerne to Andermatt does follow the Gotthard Panoramic Express route yes. Read about the train, the route and taking regional trains as an option here: http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress

Use the timetable to ensure you can get to Andermatt in time to pick up the Glacier Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress) to St. Moritz (if that was your plan) but if just taking regional trains your timings are less restrictive.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2019 at 10:20:34 #904820

Thanks SO much for your response and hints, Lucas. Although we are skiers, this trip is not intended to be a ski trip, so we’ll be happy to snowshoe, hike or whatever, depending on the weather.

Also wondering whether we’ll need more than a light down jacket underneath a windproof shell? Trying to travel light!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2019 at 15:09:00 #904821

A warm jacket is a good idea in April yes – especially once you start going up in elevation.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2019 at 12:47:44 #904822

Really appreciate your advice, thanks. But this is doing my head in….I have 24 hours to decide whether a Eurail pass or Swiss Pass will serve us better, because the 1st class for 2nd class Eurail special offer expires! I’ve calculated it will be roughly half the cost for us to do 1st class with Eurail than with Swiss Pass, because husband is over 60, and Eurail has a reduced rate for Seniors. We do have a couple of train trips in France before entering Switzerland from Chamonix. HOWEVER, I know there will be more things not included in the Eurail pass, e.g. fewer discounts for Jugfrau, Mt Rigi, etc. Also local buses and ferries in certain cities e.g. Montreal, Lucerne…and those things might add up. And the convenience of a Swiss Pass seems greater…to have 1 card for virtually everything in Switzerland.

Are you able to confirm that a Eurail pass can be used Chamonix to Montreux? The map is so small, even when enlarged, that I can’t read it!

Also, am I correct that a Swiss Pass is simply easier to use in Switzerland than a Eurial? Or is that misguided? After all, it will be April…hardly peak season.

Thanks again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2019 at 13:20:40 #904823

More complications! It seems an obligatory reservation on a French train (if you have a Eurail pass) is about 35-45 Euros, when the cost of a 1st class ticket WITH reservation is only 54 Euros. I’m starting to wonder whether the Eurail pass will be a false economy?!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2019 at 15:03:26 #904824

Hi Carson,

Indeed based on your itinierary, a Swiss Travel Pass might be more appropriate and give you more flexibility, if the only leg of your travel to other countries is the Chamonix bit…

You will find the following links useful to help you make your decision though:

Happy planning!

Maria.

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 February 2019 at 10:38:21 #904825

I think so too, and Chamonix to Montreux is fully included in the Swiss Travel Pass. For other trips in France you may want to use regular point to point tickets: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france. I don’t know about all options in France though, it’s Switzerland only here 😉

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2019 at 11:03:14 #904826

Many thanks, Arno, Maria and Lucas. It was down to the wire….We have gone with a 1st class 8 day (+2 free) Swiss Pass in the end, but it will probably end up actually being a little more expensive than having gone with a 15 day Eurail pass (with the 1st class for 2nd class price) , since we also have a couple of other trips in France. There would have been more things to add within Switzerland (mountain trips e.g. Mt Rigi, Jungfrau from Interlaken), and the convince of knowing that everything is included in the Swiss pass won out. The Australian dollar doesn’t help either!

• The thread ‘Opinions on my 10 day Switzerland April itinerary?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.