Itinerary Zurich & Engelberg - guidance please

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
harshilpatel
harshilpatel
7 posts
Jun 14, 2017 - 9:56 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am going to Switzerland in the last week of June for 6 days and 7 nights.

I am planning the itinerary in the following way. please guide.

Visit from Zurich

Lake Luzern + Lucerne- One Full day

Mt Pilates - Dont know the time required from Zuirch. Please guide how much time required to explore the mountain. If I am not wrong, it would take one full day.

Rhine Falls + other place if you can guide - One full day

Visit from Engelberg

Mt Titlis – One Full day

Jungfraugh – One Full day. Is it convenient to explore Jungfraugh from Engelberg or Zurich.

I also intend to explore Glacier Express from Zurich. Please guide which part of the route I shall explore.

If I am missing out any other good place to visit, please guide me. I can think to extend if budget permits.

Thanks

Regards,

Harshil

rockoyster
rockoyster
4027 posts
expert
Jun 15, 2017 - 3:07 AM

Hello harshilpatel,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Do you have some specific reason for basing yourself in Zurich? Luzern is a much better centre for many of your planned activities.

It would help to know when you arrive in and depart from Zurich so that we know how much time you have. If you are keen to do a part of the Glacier Express then it would most likely be between Chur and Andermatt and would probably best be done either at the start or end of your visit.

rajikadinesh
rajikadinesh
87 posts
Jun 15, 2017 - 5:32 AM in reply to harshilpatel

there is no point staying in Zurich. It's hotter than other parts of Switzerland

make your base in luzern if possible

lake luzern visit can be combined with mount pilatus excursion

take a cruise from luzern to Alphanstad, cog wheel to pilatus kulm from alphanstad, back from pilatus kulm by cable car to luzern

whether you are buying swiss travel pass ?

its better to visit jungfrouch from luzern, both zurich and engelberg are at same distance

jungfrouch journey time is almost 9 to 10 hours. so plan accordingly

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5170 posts
expert
Jun 15, 2017 - 11:17 AM in reply to harshilpatel

Hi harshilpatel-

You got some good answers so far. Zürich is expensive and not a particularly scenic destination. I enjoy it because it is a cosmopolitan city with lots of cultural things, but it is not in the mountains.

As noted, Luzern is a good base. Beautiful surroundings; nice old town.

The Jungfrau is a long way from Zürich or Engelberg, or even Luzern .

In order to not only answer your questions about travel times and schedules, but to help you understand the options, you should use the timetable:

www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Simple on the surface, it has considerably more detailed information if you dig down in the menus. Please read the introductory page at the link I have given you. Be aware that the timetable computer defaults to the fastest route, so it may be necessary to enter a "via" station to force the route to a more scenic one.

These links may also help you:

www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

www.myswissalps.com/pi latus

www.myswissalps.com/rh inefalls

www.myswissalps.com/zu rich

Pilatus is very close to Luzern. There is not much to explore up top. Half a day is plenty.

Many visitors enjoy the Rhine Falls, but I prefer to see things that are uniquely Swiss. I have seen a lot of waterfalls, so I don't go to the Rhine Falls.

Please give some thought to using time to stay near the Jungfrau or at Interlaken, instead of seeing the Rhine Falls and staying at Engelberg.

The larger region is called the Bernese Oberland, with the Jungfrau region a special part of it.

www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

The Jungfraujoch visit is quite expensive, and should not be done if there are clouds at high altitude. No views, then. But the entire area near the Jungfrau is beautiful, and there are less expensive options, such as Schilthorn, or the villages.

By the last week in June, the Summer season will have begun, and almost all hotels, restaurants, tourist services will be open. There may still be snow on some of the higher trails, if you plan to hike.

This link will give you some information about the Glacier Express route, as well as other scenic routes:

www.sbb.ch/content/dam /sbb/en/pdf/en_bahnhof -services/en_am-bahnhof/en_unsere-bahnhoefe/panoramic-routes.pdf

Slowpoke

Last modified on Jun 15, 2017 - 11:55 AM by Slowpoke

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018